Search the forum,

Discuss kitchen floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

negsy26

hi guys, would love some advice on a kitchen floor.said floor is 30msq and half of it has floor boards down the other half is concrete! ceramic tiles are going down probably 300mmx300mmx10mm. devimat going down too. customer wants it done right but with minimum floor raise as possible.existing wooden floor is in good condition and fairly stable.i was going to screw down existing floor to really make sure of no movement then put down 6mm backerboard over the whole area using spf ( dont fancy screwing through the concrete !) devimat on top the backerboard then spf & tile, grout with flexi. what do you think?

D

doug boardley

youll need an expansion joint between the two substrates negsy, I'd also be using a de-coupling mat,(dtra, dural ci) especially as you're having a devimat:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

You will probably also need to plug and screw the hardiebacker down as it isn't exactly flat. The adhesive isn't strong enought to pull it down and keep it down in my experience.

As per Doug you will need and expansion joint as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

negsy26

so somthing like ditra matting down first then the backerboard or just the matting?

D

david campbell

if the existing wood floor is ply,then the ditra should be fine just make sure you split it where the expansion should be

N

negsy26

the existing wooden floor is the old type 'planks' not even tongue & groove so i guess ditra matting is a no go then?

D

doug boardley

I'd be taking the planks out and replace with 25mm wbp plywood, seriously:yikes:

N

negsy26

i think im going to do this - fix down existing ' planks ' securely,then, 10mm backerboard fixed down with ardex 7001 (and screwed on wooden part of exsisting ) then the devimat then latex over with arditex na, finally a spf to fix the tiles with and a flexi grout !! i think that should do it !! what ya reckon ?!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to kitchen floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen