Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kilkenny Honed Limestone Sealer question in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Barnjet

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys

Newbie here, hope you can help. I’m helping my son on his building project. He is getting his builder to install 45sqm of Kilkenny Stone Washed Light limestone tiles ( 600 x 400 x 20). The builder has laid lots of stone before and has recommended Lithofin Stain Stop MN as the sealer.

We have experimented on a scrap piece and are worried that after 2 coats, the tiles are significantly darker. I have read on this forum and elsewhere that Lithofin is neutral so have we misapplied the Lithofin on the test piece? Hopefully I have managed to insert a copy photo of the test piece. Don’t worry about the other Topps sealer on the left, we won’t be using that one.
Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance

T

Time's Ran Out

IMHO Lithofin stain stop is the best but I see your issue.
Does it not lighten up after a 24hr period.

D

Dumbo

Hi Guys

Newbie here, hope you can help. I’m helping my son on his building project. He is getting his builder to install 45sqm of Kilkenny Stone Washed Light limestone tiles ( 600 x 400 x 20). The builder has laid lots of stone before and has recommended Lithofin Stain Stop MN as the sealer.

We have experimented on a scrap piece and are worried that after 2 coats, the tiles are significantly darker. I have read on this forum and elsewhere that Lithofin is neutral so have we misapplied the Lithofin on the test piece? Hopefully I have managed to insert a copy photo of the test piece. Don’t worry about the other Topps sealer on the left, we won’t be using that one.
Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance

View attachment 107990
Have you tried wiping a stone with a clean damp cloth to see how it reacts.

OP
B

Barnjet

TF
Reaction score
We will try another test piece and make sure there’s no residue left on the surface. I’ll post this later. Thanks for help so far

OP
B

Barnjet

TF
Reaction score
Test No 2 completed using the Lithofin and some LTP Mattstone. Photos below

And from a different angle
3379C30B-213C-4E30-8D6E-A0AFA045B1C1.jpeg AC7AED14-36F7-431D-8446-E72A96F1D3EB.jpeg

In all tests so far the Lithofin has been the darkest shade and left streaky marks. The LTP is less dark, and streak free but is it as good as the Lithofin?

One thing I notice is the Lithofin has a shelf life of 3 years and this tin looks like it’s been knocking around ever since Shades of Grey was written ;) Would that cause this issue?

Thanks for advice so far.

C

Concrete guy

How old is that tin of stain stop? It has a short shelf life from date of opening. If it's old (it looks pretty old) it may have evaporated and be no longer working appropriately.

I once used stain stop plus, which was regular stain stop mixed with colour intensifier. It was very difficult to apply without getting streaks but it gave the appearance that you seem to be getting here.

May be worth a new tin of stain stop to test?

OP
B

Barnjet

TF
Reaction score
Try universeal rapid all in one. Might get better results
Thanks HM I have seen good reviews for Universeal Rapid but I can’t find any local stockist to Peckham. It only seems to be available from a few distributors who charge an arm and a leg for delivery. Do you know if any of the regular builders merchants or chains stock it. Nothing comes up on the internet

OP
B

Barnjet

TF
Reaction score
How old is that tin of stain stop? It has a short shelf life from date of opening. If it's old (it looks pretty old) it may have evaporated and be no longer working appropriately.

I once used stain stop plus, which was regular stain stop mixed with colour intensifier. It was very difficult to apply without getting streaks but it gave the appearance that you seem to be getting here.

May be worth a new tin of stain stop to test?
Thanks ATS, it is an old tin, so you may be right. Anyway worth a go with a new tin as the product does get very good reviews

Reply to Kilkenny Honed Limestone Sealer question in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock