Discuss Polished Limestone....not polished! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
I have recently completed a kitchen floor comprising of 600 x 900 x 15(ish) polished limestone.
The limestone came as part of a 'bespoke' kitchen order and the floor was part of a very tight schedule!
The stone came in 2 crates. In one crate the tiles looked nice with neat edges and an obvious polished top side and matt uderside.
The other crate appeared more 'rustic' with tumbled corners and a lot dustier/dirtier than crate 1.
Anyway the customer asked if we could make sure that the 'nicer ones' were in the main areas and where possible the more 'rustic ones' under the units etc.
I didn't think this was unreasonable so proceeded.
When we got to crate 2 which was supposedly part of the same batch we realised that there was no evident 'polish' to either side and you could see where the tile had been calibrated on both sides.
We pointed this out to the customer who asked us to lay them as the Kitchen was arriving in 2 days along with the plumber and electrician!

Anyway long story short the tiles are down with a small number that have no visible polish, what (if any) would be the procedure to get a more uniform appearance, i.e can you retrospectively polish a tile such as this.
The Kitchen company apparently sent another tiler round when I wasn't there who pointed out all the matt tiles saying they were upside down. How they could be upside down when they don't have a top is beyond me.
They have taken responsibility though (as they should being the supplier) and are apparently sending a stone mason over to wet polish the tiles.

In a perfect world I would have stopped as soon as we had realised the fault however my work partner did his back in during the job so I was working 12 hour days to get the job done
Sorry for the rant.

T

Time's Ran Out

Fully understand the rant but customers have to blame someone and experience will tell you in time that it’s your fault for accepting that customers are nice people!

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
It should be Possible to wet polish the individual tiles to bring up a suitable finish, will it Match the rest of the factory polished finish tiles?. I used to polish the individual tiles up to a point, then pad polish ( twister, monkey or kgs) or powder polish the whole floor to give a uniform finish, this is dependant on the type of stone and lippage ( sure there's none)
Test !!!will be required

Reply to Polished Limestone....not polished! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks