Discuss Just stripped off the tiles...What next? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Pritch

TF
Reaction score
Hi
I've must taken the tiles off which came away quite easy and not leaving too much damage to the walls?
I'm thinking next job is ..
Clean off as much adhesive possible.
Is there Need to patch up where the plaster came away a bit?
Also do i need to pva before tiling?
Many thanks

20181109_131112.jpg

O

Old Mod

Clean away the adhesive and then see what you’re left with first.
Never mention PVA within these hallowed cyber space walls.
It is blasphemy. :eek:

Acrylic primers only generally speaking.
Special applications require more specific products.

I

irishjas

Hi there, you'll have to remove all adhesive of your wall. Dust down the wall and apply some polly bound give it a couple of hours before tiling.

W

Waluigi

Depends on tile weight.

What’s happening with the shower walls? Are you just tiling the exposed wall? There might be quite a lip unless you’re installing something similar .

Pritch

TF
Reaction score
Hi
The lot is being stripped out but I'm leaving in the sink and shower until the tiles turn up.
The tiles are 600x300 from Porcelanosa so no pressure :) probably too big for this room but they were the only onesmy wife liked.
Do I really need to remove ALL of the adhesive or just the high spots? After just having a go ,I feel it's going to take hours to remove every bit.
Thanks for the replies.
Ps I've purchased one of those tile leveling kits with the wedges and gun.
20181109_134707.jpg

O

Old Mod

The integrity of your Tiling will entirely be reliant on what lies beneath, and to be honest, plaster is not the best of substrates at the best of times.
It’s weak and certainly not waterproof, and in an ideal world it’d be replaced with something much more suitable.
It’s carrying capacity is actually very low, so the more layers you have on it, the less suitable it becomes.
Bad prep equals bad finish.

Welcome to our world of pain. :)

W

Waluigi

If the tiles exceed the weight limit for plaster (20kg PSM including adhesive and grout) then the only real thing to do is hack off every last bit of plasterboard and plaster in the room and think about re boarding the walls with something more suitable.

So no, you can’t just remove the high spots of adhesive.

If you’re doing a full refit, getting the walls flat, Plumb and capable of holding the tiles you want to stick to it is the single most important thing to do in the room. If you get that wrong, it has a knock on effect with the rest of the work which levelling clips won’t help you with I’m afraid.

If the wall tiles are below 20kg PSM then you might well be in luck. You’ll need to get that old adhesive off though. It can be quite a job in itself. You’ll then need a straight edge on the walls to see what you’ve got.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What’s the weight of the tiles. They may well be a too heavy for plaster skim

Are walls plasterboard under skim.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
The lot is being stripped out but I'm leaving in the sink and shower until the tiles turn up.
The tiles are 600x300 from Porcelanosa so no pressure :) probably too big for this room but they were the only onesmy wife liked.
Do I really need to remove ALL of the adhesive or just the high spots? After just having a go ,I feel it's going to take hours to remove every bit.
Thanks for the replies.
Ps I've purchased one of those tile leveling kits with the wedges and gun.
View attachment 102076

That looks like every Monday.

Reaction score
If you're buying your tiles from Porcelanosa please spend a bit more money and get a decent tiler to do the job for you. You sound a little inexperienced in tiling and it would be a terrible shame if you didn't get it right.

Pritch

TF
Reaction score
If you're buying your tiles from Porcelanosa please spend a bit more money and get a decent tiler to do the job for you. You sound a little inexperienced in tiling and it would be a terrible shame if you didn't get it right.

Hi
Usually when I'm given instructions, I'm pretty good at the practical side of it. I may try and do the en- suite myself but get a pro in to do the bathroom 900mm x 300 mm tiles.

Reply to Just stripped off the tiles...What next? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks