Search the forum,

Discuss It’s New tools tuesdays in the Tiling Tools | Tile Tools - Tile Installing Tools area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill

Do people on here realise that you can buy these polishing pads and discs direct from China?

Cut out the middle man. I just checked the prices compared to UK based companies and there’s a huge difference in price. It all comes from China.
Get me a Chinese supplier that can get me what I want the next day for the same price.

C

Concrete guy

Do people on here realise that you can buy these polishing pads and discs direct from China?

Cut out the middle man. I just checked the prices compared to UK based companies and there’s a huge difference in price. It all comes from China.

Most (but not all) of these products come from China.

You are of course absolutely correct. There's nothing to stop anyone buying directly from China. However knowing where to buy and what you're buying is the more important factor.

Also there's a hierarchy of access to the better manufacturers that's only allowed with volume/scale. We buy a great deal from China and it's taken a long time to get into to some of the best suppliers for blades and polishing pads.

In fact a number of our customers have bought direct, then returned back to us after a while due to quality control issues. Some continue to buy some products direct from China but others from us. It's the joy of a global market, e commerce is the future and it's destroying traditional businesses as we see daily on the news. It's why we chose to go that route.

However, as noted above, we can deliver next day from stock with a VAT invoice and provide a money back guarantee/replacement should anything untoward occur. We also have product liability insurance should any of our products fail and injure you/ your customer or anyone else for that matter.

W

Waluigi

Absolutely I can see the benefits of buying from a UK supplier and can completely understand why the prices are higher. It’s a business after all and we all have to make money.

It’s not for everyone though. I’d prefer to buy direct myself, make large savings yet wait the far longer delivery time.

It is a shame that the market has gone this way. Unfortunately money talks and the more money I have in my pocket gives me more satisfaction than keeping a business afloat in the UK.

Edit: just to add and another selling point for a UK supplier would be the technical guidance the customer would receive vs dealing direct with China. That’s something you missed out on your sales pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Waluigi

Get me a Chinese supplier that can get me what I want the next day for the same price.

Such a supplier doesn’t exist. That’s why you will buy from a UK supplier if you need it next day. It’s exactly what I do. However, I tend to know what I need long in advance so I have no issues waiting a couple of weeks for a set of vacuum brazed drill bits that I know I will use.

W

Waluigi

Moving on.....

65BB7324-11BE-4711-92BF-96B4A9C1E371.jpeg

C

Concrete guy

Such a supplier doesn’t exist. That’s why you will buy from a UK supplier if you need it next day. It’s exactly what I do. However, I tend to know what I need long in advance so I have no issues waiting a couple of weeks for a set of vacuum brazed drill bits that I know I will use.

It's interesting you picked vacuum brazed drills as an example.

We're introducing a second range of VB holesaws in early September. They'll be substantially cheaper than our current range which all have a 50mm depth of cut and are aimed more at stonemasons than tilers.

The new ones will be shorter (circa 25mm depth of cut) and also much cheaper to produce, they'll look identical but the reality is they're not. But these products which are effectively disposable tools, sell heavily on price point alone as opposed to quality and longevity.

Sadly with many products of this nature it's a race to the bottom on price alone, and as the price reduces something inevitably gives, that is generally quality and content.

W

Waluigi

I’ve compared vacuum brazed bits for many years now including Marcrist PG750X. spectrum, Mexco, Rubi Dry Gres and Montolit, amongst others.

The Bits I now buy direct from China are every bit as good as some of the best bits I have trialled.

I have no allegiance to any one company. If I could buy the same bits in the UK for a little more than China then I would. The fact is that I’m paying 30% of what I would in The UK. Simple as that really.

Last edited by a moderator:

llevram

TF
Reaction score

Where are you finding these suppliers Mate?

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
20180810_111332_HDR.jpg

Stopped in B&W this morning, picked these up on clearance for £20, gave them a test run when I got to site, wheel chipped straight away! rubbish!

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They are ok with glass mosaics but anything harder is a waste of time.
B&Q I meant but my phone auto corrects incorrectly!
Yeah they'll be going straight back :smirk:

Any recommendations for some that work well on porcelain.. Have never had a decent pair..

D

Dumbo

I just use the normal rubi ones I find they're better than most and plus they don't loose the spring .

Reply to It’s New tools tuesdays in the Tiling Tools | Tile Tools - Tile Installing Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen