Search the forum,

Discuss is the tiling trade finished ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Can i ask ... WHAT ! Recession.. only the media keep banging on about it .. this in turn slows spending by the public.. there is work out there and some are doing very well still..

I think it is location related as to what areas are finding it more difficult than others..

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Am with dave What recession,i still work everday may not get paid as much as i did a few years ago but i still make a decent wage.

I'll make a point here liked or not,we do have an influx of immigrants etc coming into GB but they do want to work(well the ones that have been mentioned) but at the end of the day are we not all immigrants of some description?

People go where the work is, was i a leech on the belgian goverment or the german goverment when i worked there?

No i went where the money was ,thats what these people are doing,there is money to be earned in the uk no matter what the news says.

D

DHTiling

Some work is being taken by trades that would not normally tile , like plumbers etc , they are quiet and then to keep ticking they turn their hands to tiling etc to make ends meet or some think it is an easy trade and have a bash anyway.. :)

Yes things are not as buoyant for quite a few trades but get out there and chase the work , never sit at home and wait for the phone to ring , make yourself heard..

A

Aston

its definitely definitely not finished, no way... a good tiler is a is a good tiler but i do think there might have to be a bit of evolving to be done in order to keep the work being savaged on the domestic front, commercial work is different.

how do i see the economy panning out? I can't say, but you can only stay on the floor for so long, then you have to get up.
as for immigration. the boom period is long over so its not as enticing for for some european unions works to come here as it was and i can say for definite that it is becoming more difficult to obtain citizenship in the uk now so maybe we are through the worst

some great person once said, things arnt what they are, they are what we think...maybe i need to listen to that lol ;0)

J

jonnyc

Am with dave What recession,i still work everday may not get paid as much as i did a few years ago but i still make a decent wage.

I'll make a point here liked or not,we do have an influx of immigrants etc coming into GB but they do want to work(well the ones that have been mentioned) but at the end of the day are we not all immigrants of some description?

People go where the work is, was i a leech on the belgian goverment or the german goverment when i worked there?

No i went where the money was ,thats what these people are doing,there is money to be earned in the uk no matter what the news says.

Well said!!
exactly my sentiments.
ive had a go at few people on here before about foreigners supposedly taking our work.
the simple fact is that these people are only trying to better their lives or their families.
if they are here illegally then then that is not ok but i know i have worked illegally in many countries and i was thinking about surviving .
the majority are here because they are allowed to work here . this is not their fault.
they are making the most of opportunities given to them ,
it is down to the decision made by the government in power who passed this law.
Take mz 30 comment about belgium/germany. he says he was there because that is where the work was for him and i am sure thousands of others when the going got tough over here last recession.
would he have chosen to go to germany or holland to work if he didnt need to.
auf wiedersehen pet was i think the best ever series on tv. yes it was funny but it was real

J

jonnyc

I was also there in germany and other places in that time but the difference is i chose to be there for a laugh and the travel experience. it had nothing to do with needing work at home .
but i mixed with and met many who went overseas because they needed to,
it is so easy to blame foreign workers and no one will ever understand how they feel coming here away from home unless they have had to do it themselves in a foreign country.
i bet you wont find a single man on this forum who has travelled overseas to work by didnt of need , who will have a go at legit forien workers in this country.

S

Spud

I worked abroad many times, learnt a lot about the trade and a lot about myself and others, this country has always had foreign workers working here going back to 1066 when Norman carpenters and stone masons built most of the ancient churches and cathedrals they were foreign workers at that time . The uk stone ,tiling and terazzo industry relied heavily on italian labour through out the 20th century and there are still many companies such as Quilligotti ,Toffolo Jackson and Zanetti and Bailey whose roots are from foreigners coming here to work it didnt ruin the trade it made it what it is today

Reply to is the tiling trade finished ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen