Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Is Decoupling With Stone And Ufh Bs? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hmtiling

Hi all, got a couple to price up with pumped floors, ufh and stone. I want to use durabase/ditra and, being aware it's best practice, just wondering if it's also british standard to do so. I've been in touch with Schluter and Dural and got different opinions whether it is or not from them, and awaiting emails from both to show clients. If anyone can definitively tell me yes or no I'd be very grateful. And if anyone can quote the relevant British Standard they'll get a xmas card! ;)
Many thanks in advance.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yup. BS5385 says natural stone with heated screed should be uncoupled. It doesn't say how but a mat seems the logical solution. It is also a recommendation of the British stone federation.

H

hmtiling

After asking around, this is all I can find on decoupling in British Standards;
From BS5385-3:2014 clause 5.5
Polyethylene or suitable sheet membrane should be used in preference to
building paper or bituminous felt. A minimum thickness of 0.125 mm should be
used for most conditions, the purpose of the separating layer being to ensure
that the applied screed or concrete does not adhere to the base.

NOTE Uncoupling membrane systems provide an intermediate substrate between
the tile covering and load bearing substrate. They can be used over a variety of
substrates, which include timber, concrete, cementitious screeds and gypsum based
screeds, etc. They are designed to neutralize lateral stresses that occur between the
substrate and tile covering; they are not designed to accommodate differential
vertical movement. The membrane works by preventing stresses from the substrate
being transferred into the tile covering; this prevents cracking and possibly
delamination of the covering material. They are designed to work with tile adhesives
where the bedding does not generally exceed 10 mm.

It doesn't mention heated screeds or even recommend anything. Is there a bit on this subject I've not found?

H

hmtiling

Thanks Gary. I emailed them and they said I need to be a member for technical advice.
I'll try giving them a ring.
Cheers

Reply to Is Decoupling With Stone And Ufh Bs? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks