Search the forum,

Discuss Interior wall construction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

STEVES-HOME

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it was common for interior non load walls to be made from just 3 20mm plasterboards sandwiched together. The outer two layers are solid boards obviously as they are either side of the wall but the middle looks like 150mm strips laid across in the middle.

I wanted to replace one of the sides of plasterboard so it could be retiled as the existing surface is too damaged and was expecting be just be able to screw new plasterbaords to the wooden studs. Obviously with this construction I cant. Should I just remove the old outer 20mm thick skin of plasterbaord and use 12.5mm pb and pack out with Drywall adhesive to flush with rest of wall?

S

STEVES-HOME

Nor me. When I looked through the internet Fire boards kept coming up as up to 30mm thickness.

M

mikethetile

this is partition walling ,a variation of the old paramount system

personally i wouldnt try to dismantle it , is it possible in your situation to either dot and dab a new plaster board face on or fix hardie backer with adhesive

the backer board will add less thickness to the wall

D

doug boardley

Mike, hardie dont recommend fixing wall boards with addy, it would need to be screws and washers:thumbsup:

S

STEVES-HOME

Thanks all,

The tiling is only going to be from top of the worksurface and about 40cm high so am concerned about how adding a board on top would look.

Is there a way to just skim over the damaged paper or will this not have a strong enough bond.

M

mikethetile

Mike, hardie dont recommend fixing wall boards with addy, it would need to be screws and washers:thumbsup:
I stand corrected on that doug:oops:
in that case forget hardie backer as the screws wont hold enough to take the weight of the tiles as your only screwing into plasterboard

W

White Room

this is partition walling ,a variation of the old paramount system

personally i wouldnt try to dismantle it , is it possible in your situation to either dot and dab a new plaster board face on or fix hardie backer with adhesive

the backer board will add less thickness to the wall

Three boards dabbed together, not used anymore.

Another great idea down the pan:thumbsup:

Reply to Interior wall construction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen