Search the forum,

Discuss Inconsistent grout colour in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Recently tiled a bathroom 500 x 200 ceramic tiles onto drylined and tanked walls(Ardex tanking). The adhesive used was webber spf rapid set. The problem is the grout colour is very inconsistent. The grout used was Ardex slate grey FS 3mm joint. the grout is almost black in some areas and very light grey with in a few hundred mm. The walls have been allowed to cure and have been washed down twice with Lithofin cement residue remover.
The effervescence has been removed but the problem persists.
Ardex have not been much help and i am at a loss as how to rectify the problem and appease my customer.
Any advise or suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks in advance

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
the grout had about 2 weeks before it was washed the first time then a further 3 weeks before washing the second time. It has been around 8 weeks now and no improvement.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Did you use stated water to powder, if not the powder may have not hydrated correctly leaving areas of darker patches, or if you over watered this can also leave patches and efflorescence , test the grout stain as this can often darken all the grout and the patches ,so can still stand out as it darkens them to. ( worth a try)The acidic cleaner may not touch these as the can be the often the depth of the grout and will not simply clean away.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
maybe im just lucky , but iv'e never had probs with grouts drying diff colour . and cant think why it should , i mix the grout the way i like it ,

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Think it may be the darker ones generally get 3-4 of these a week,

May have greater impact if the tile is textured and the amount of cleaning to Remove grout and poss over wetting at this stage leaving patches also

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just a thought, if you were to mix a very wet slurry with initial grout and it's pigment, sponge over grout would this be enough to re- darken grout evenly - or would this not set and just wash out

Reply to Inconsistent grout colour in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen