Discuss Huge Travertine tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattju07

hey guys,
my names matt and Im new to this forum.
I work as a builder,
I have done a few tiling jobs in the past but I have been asked by a client to tile his bathroom with some travertine tiles that he has.
the are not the smallest of things 90cm x 45cm x 1cm
they are being laid on there side in a brick bond style
what adhesive would you guys recommend? I personaly always use bal but with these big boys i need some expert advice.
someone i know says ardex is the best?

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF Matt. A white, flexible cement based adhesive will be required, my choice would be either Weber or Mapei but BAL or Ardex will also be perfectly suitable. What substrate are you tiling to? Weight could be an issue.

M

mattju07

they will be going on to plaster and rendered walls apart from behind the taps about 70cm wide x to the ceiling height this will be a 50mm stud wall to hide the shower boarded with aquapanel.

R

Rookery

I'd say they were too heavy to fix to plaster. BS weight limit on plaster is 20kgs per sq mtr, these will be nearer to 30kgs per sq mtr.

Reaction score
I agree with Rookery, render alone is fine but on a plaster skim a definite no no. Can I ask why the render was plastered? I find it really frustrating that there seems to be a need to plaster everything, it's really unnecessary, particularly in a wetroom or wet area and causes more work and costs in the long run :mad2:

M

mattju07

Thanks for the comments guys as I say, I am not a tiller and all of your wise words are much appreciated!:thumbsup:
The bathroom had an old suite fitted with some white 100x100mm tiles on the walls. we have totally gutted the room and im left with plastered walls behind the tiles. Im guessing that it would be a good idea to remove the old skim? its over 50years old so its probably loose anyway.

Reply to Huge Travertine tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22