Search the forum,

Discuss How do you get clean grout lines? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lisamoore

Hi Guys,
I haven't been tiling long and have been told/seen 3 different ways to obtain clean grout lines.
Not sure if all/any are OK or it's personal preference but thought I would ask...

1. After applying grout, wait 15 mins ish and then run your wet finger down the lines, wait 40ish mins and clean off tile.
2. After applying grout, wait 15 mins then use clean sponge in light circular movements to get a smooth finish on grout lines. Wait 40 mins to clean tiles.
3. After applying grout, clean off tiles using light circular movements followed by diagonal wipes?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Lisa:juggle2:

J

johnryan

i think it's more a case of the more you do, the better you'll get at it, and develop your own style around the variations you mentioned. grouting is a bit of an art form, i know it took me a while before i was happy with the end result.

M

Mike

it's hard to determine how long after applying to wash off as there are a lot of factors in the equation, i.e type of substrate, room temp. type of grout, width of gap and type of tile. a ceramic will absorb the moisture out of the grout thus drying the grout quicker whereas a porcelain won't. it's always best to try a small area first and see how it dries. as above a washboy is good for cleaning and smoothing the grout lines

R

Rich

The timing will depend on the grout, the tiles and the atmosphere so you are better off just keeping and eye on it, you will soon find that you know exactly when to wash off.

I apply the grout and every 10 mins or so I check the grout in the joint where I started to make sure its not going off on me. When it is just starting to harden, give the tile and the joints a gentle wash off with clean water and a clean sponge, if the grout is pulled out of the joint then it is to soon and if you have to really scrub at it, it has been left to long.

L

Lisamoore

WOW, lots of variations then. Am using porcelain which I haven't laid beiore so thanks on the note that it will take a little longer to dry!

S

Scott

You must have a decent sponge, some are to soft and some are too hard. I find the hard ones end to pull the gorut back out if you are not careful. Not too wet too as obviously it just dilutes it and it can sag a bit,

D

DHTiling

Just to add, never over wet the joints when washing off, this can cause latex leaching.... Less chance of this happening as long as you let the grout set enough and not over wet when washing off...

S

skeg

This is all great advice. I'm also new to tiling and struggle to get grout lines that i'm completely happy with. As suggested by someone else on here i'm probably washing the tiles too soon which is pulling some of the grout out. It is definitley a learning curve. The last tiles i done were on our splashback in our new kitchen and the tiles have got a matt kind of finish. Didn't leave the grout too long before trying to wash of but had already started to dry on the matt surface but was probably still too wet in the grout line itself, right bugger it was!

I

Ian

Always ensure you wash over the grout lines diagonally so you don't wash the grout out. I use a circular motion when washing off. As already mentioned you don't want to do it too early or late. On the final wash fold your sponge in half and strike the joints to give a nice smooth and even finish.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thats how i do it brian :thumbsup:............just to add wash boys take some getting used to and its easy to over wet the floor with them causing problems with the grout colour (bal grouts are the worst for this)

Reply to How do you get clean grout lines? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen