Search the forum,

Discuss Hi From Derbyshire in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisb1357

Hi all
Chris here from Derbyshire. Thought I would sign up as i am looking for some advice on best way to tile my small bathroom.
Not sure if this is the correct thread but I am planning on fitting tiles floor to celling in our bathroom and on the floor. We rent from the council and they have approved us to tile the walls and to box in the pipes. The agreement is we must be able to get to the pipes if needed behind the boxing.I am looking for ideas on what to do. Some people suggest UPVC panels for the boxing screwed to a frame. Some suggest ply wood then tiles onto the wood and other suggest fit access panels and plasterboard it. We don't want to spend millions on the bathroom as its not our place but just something to make it look better than it is now. Not sure on tile type.
8592354153_1d56e4ae95.jpg
8593453618_aa254f57b2_z.jpg

C

chrisb1357

Just been looking on some pictures of some peoples work on here. Amazing stuff what people can do. No chance of me getting a good finish in ours

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF Chris. That pipe work is going to be a nightmare to box in, it'll have to be some size. In an ideal world you would create a frame from 2x2 and attach 12mm cement board to it, ply or plasterboard will do the job also. A couple of mirror screws to attach it to the wall so that can be removed.

C

chrisb1357

Hi

Yep It keeps going around in my head that its going to be a nightmare. Problem is we cannot change the pipework and I would have liked to but the council said no. I just thought boxing in would be better to hide them. Do you think just painting the pipes white and to tile the wall behind them would be a lot easier to do?

Also I am not sure what type of walls we have. The internal walls between each room feel like they are some type of board with a light skim over them and the outside walls I think are plaster. I need to do some patching up on the walls before hand. As the walls had paper on before would I need to remove all the paper paste which was left on the wall.

Also some people have told me to watch out for the weight of the tile I pick. What size do you suggest for a small bathroom.

Sorry about so many question
Many Thanks

Welcome along to TF Chris. That pipe work is going to be a nightmare to box in, it'll have to be some size. In an ideal world you would create a frame from 2x2 and attach 12mm cement board to it, ply or plasterboard will do the job also. A couple of mirror screws to attach it to the wall so that can be removed.

C

chrisb1357

Hi

I have measured out the room as 1m 67cm x 2m 48cm and the height is 2m32cm

How can I work out the sqr meters of the room and how many tiles I would need. Depending on tile size

Chris

Hi

Yep It keeps going around in my head that its going to be a nightmare. Problem is we cannot change the pipework and I would have liked to but the council said no. I just thought boxing in would be better to hide them. Do you think just painting the pipes white and to tile the wall behind them would be a lot easier to do?

Also I am not sure what type of walls we have. The internal walls between each room feel like they are some type of board with a light skim over them and the outside walls I think are plaster. I need to do some patching up on the walls before hand. As the walls had paper on before would I need to remove all the paper paste which was left on the wall.

Also some people have told me to watch out for the weight of the tile I pick. What size do you suggest for a small bathroom.

Sorry about so many question
Many Thanks

C

chrisb1357

I have worked it out as 20 Sqm if I have worked it out correct.

How many sq meters would you over buy?

Chris

Reply to Hi From Derbyshire in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen