Search the forum,

Discuss Help Me Choose Manual Cutter in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

KevinH

TF
Reaction score
Once again turning to the helpful folks on this forum for advice.

Rather than using my wet cutter for by bathroom refit (I have approx. 23m to fit and much cutting), I am planning to buy a "normal" cutter as it is going to be much quicker and will save me marching up and down stairs. I'll be cutting 250x500x7mm ceramic tiles both horizontally and vertically but not diagonally.

I would have bought a Sigma 2G at around £100 but the tiles are too big for this. The next sized up Sigma (3L or 3LM) are around £220 which is going to be very hard to justify given I have only one other (small) project to do in the distant future. £220 represents approx. 10% of what it is costing me to re-fit the entire bathroom.

Looking at the other brand leader - Ruby - I can pick up a Star 50N or 51 from Screwfix for between £85 and £90.

I don't want to kick off another Ruby vs Sigma discussion (nothing I can do it you want to of course ;)) but is there any reason I shouldn't expect acceptable cutting performance from either of the Rubi cutters?

The other option is to buy the 3L/3LM and try and sell on ebay afterwards but having a quick look there, there appears to be virtually nothing which isn't new and previous similar used items have not sold.

I could consider hiring a cutter, but I'd rather not rush and hiring it for multiple days is unlikely to be cost effective.

Cheers

Q

Qwerty

Buy a Sigma, use it, look after it and then contact me and I will buy it from you! It will sell second hand no problem at all. Advertise it on this forum afterwards and it will go in a heartbeat

KevinH

TF
Reaction score
I've bought a Sigma 3L3M Max from Pro Tiler Tools in Northampton. I've never used a score/snap before and I can't believe how easy it is to use. Just the slightest score does the job (pushing too hard only results in a worse cut as it seems to pick up on the honeycomb pattern on the back of the tile).

Cutting in the same room as I am working in is saving me time and my legs. It wasn't cheap but I hope to be able to get a decent price for it when I come to sell it in a couple of weeks.

Reply to Help Me Choose Manual Cutter in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen