Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Have I bought the wrong size trim? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All

My tiles are 9mm but I'm planning to use an 8mm square trowel so I think that means the adhesive will be 4mm thick.

I bought some 10mm tile trim. Is that wrong and I should get at least 13mm or 14mm to allow for the adhesive?

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply and it sounds like good news but I don't understand it though because wouldn't the tile be sticking out 9mm + 4mm from the wall? And the trim would be almost flush against the wall?
Maybe I should have said this is end trim - so will be painting the other side of it on a flat wall.

Reaction score
Much appreciate your reply but I'm trying to understand it. The tiles are off the wall by 4mm due to adhesive. The trim would also be stuck down by adhesive also the same thickness? So there would be a 4mm visible amount of adhesive behind the trim but I guess I could silicone over that. Then the end of the trim would be flush with the tiles.

Is that what you mean? Or would I be better off with a 12mm trim?

Reaction score

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm being a little thick here and there is a good chance of it but if doing wall tiles and I want to put a box trim so that it covers the top of the tiles all the way to the wall so there are no gaps how can fitting a trim that's the same size of the tile work?
What covers the space taken up by adhesive?
If there was a 4mm bed of adhesive behind the tile surely there would be 3-4mm gap from wall to start of trim?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Providing the walls flat the adhesive will 'bed in' leaving a very minimal gap 1 to 2 mm, which the trim flange will take up most of that, finish with decorator chaulk if painting above, or the other side of a flat wall.....job done..!

Last edited:

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Providing the walls flat the adhesive will 'bed in' leaving a very minimal gap 1 to 2 mm, which the trim flange will take up most of that, finish with decorator chaulk if painting above, or the other side of a flat wall.....job done..!
Is that the same if using an 8mm square notch trowel leaving a bed thickness of 4mm behind the tile then?

Reply to Have I bought the wrong size trim? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks