Search the forum,

Discuss Hate Mitring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

Nicely done,

I have the pleasure to be currently in the same situation as you were. 1000mm x 1000mm x 6 mm. Today I finished a one meter mitre and afterwards ran my finger along it to take pride in my craftsmanship, only to have a fragment pop off!! I'm placing the blame on the Italians! (Made in italy). What can you do? Grab a new tile and do it again. Such is life of a tiler. :)

I lay the tile on my 45 degree inclined workbench, I then mitre while standing with the tile at hip level using an angle grinder. I leave about 1.0-1.5mm material from the edge standing and small imperfections I polish with a sanding disc ( 80 grit).

When tiling I have the edges come together at 45 degrees and grout so that afterwards only the front face of the tiles remains visible. A minor difference to your attached photos.

What's your setup?

Cheers
ouch!!!

S

SJPurdy

I clamp the tile to a bench. Then cut off 2/3 of the material with a grinder. Then going right to left, remove the remainder to about a mm. Run slow speed polisher, then finish with wet diamond pad.
Tbh I never suggexpst mitering as I think trims are less liable to damage .

S

SJPurdy

OOps pressed the wrong key!!!

I agree that with trims the edge is much less liable to damage and so will look good for longer. I have seen a few good mitred jobs that have looked bad because the edge has become chipped.
I have seen even more badly mitred jobs where the edge has been cut so sharp as to be dangerous.

I

Italy

here in italy. a small company. if need workings. like yours.
they pass every week. take tile. give them drawings and measurements.
week later. Their bring. processed material. as you have willed.
half bull. steps. porcelain and stone they work.
Retailers that I work. use a lot of this company. they are cheaper. that company .produce tiles.
antonio hoped that. understood what to wrote ;)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
here in italy. a small company. if need workings. like yours.
they pass every week. take tile. give them drawings and measurements.
week later. Their bring. processed material. as you have willed.
half bull. steps. porcelain and stone they work.
Retailers that I work. use a lot of this company. they are cheaper. that company .produce tiles.
antonio hoped that. understood what to wrote ;)
Perfect, I'd happily agree to mitering every job if someone else was doing it for me.

F

Flintstone

I can see the patience and time involved but for me, I'm not a fan. It's a semi mitre really as there is still a grout line and still tile edge showing.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
True it it a semi mitre.
The German guy who used to come on here would mitre them, then bond them. So a perfect mitre.
I would not have the time or patience.

U

Unused Account 1

Porcelain not made for mitring ,just done some recently ,to chippy whatever the blade

J

J Sid

don't understand why it's chipping, never had a problem with and porcelain. What technique do you use?

Reply to Hate Mitring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen