Discuss Hate Mitring in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
just finished a job where the customer didn't want trims. The tiles were awful to use. Unbelievably hard and over fired. When back cutting you would get nearly all the way across the tile and a fragment would ping off the mitre ! At the opposite end!

Every blade I have for the dewalt chipped the edges, but on a plus side, the sigma snap cutter them very cleanly.
Heres a couple of pics. The White towel rail is getting changed to chrome. All the walls and ceiling have been plastered. Can't believe its getting wallpaper on the walls and textured paper on the ceiling!!:confused:
The window could have been better, but I was loosing patience :eek: image.jpg

C

Camper

Nicely done,

I have the pleasure to be currently in the same situation as you were. 1000mm x 1000mm x 6 mm. Today I finished a one meter mitre and afterwards ran my finger along it to take pride in my craftsmanship, only to have a fragment pop off!! I'm placing the blame on the Italians! (Made in italy). What can you do? Grab a new tile and do it again. Such is life of a tiler. :)

I lay the tile on my 45 degree inclined workbench, I then mitre while standing with the tile at hip level using an angle grinder. I leave about 1.0-1.5mm material from the edge standing and small imperfections I polish with a sanding disc ( 80 grit).

When tiling I have the edges come together at 45 degrees and grout so that afterwards only the front face of the tiles remains visible. A minor difference to your attached photos.

What's your setup?

Cheers

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I clamp the tile to a bench. Then cut off 2/3 of the material with a grinder. Then going right to left, remove the remainder to about a mm. Run slow speed polisher, then finish with wet diamond pad.
Tbh I never suggexpst mitering as I think trims are less liable to damage .

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Got to admit I've no longer the patience required for mitres. Still enjoy our trade to a degree but mitering metre long porcelain only to have the opposite end chip would drive me mental! Excellent work those that still have the desire to produce finishes like that shown but I find myself daily wishing for the days of 10x8 ceramic and plastic trim!

I

Italy

Nicely done,

I have the pleasure to be currently in the same situation as you were. 1000mm x 1000mm x 6 mm. Today I finished a one meter mitre and afterwards ran my finger along it to take pride in my craftsmanship, only to have a fragment pop off!! I'm placing the blame on the Italians! (Made in italy). What can you do? Grab a new tile and do it again. Such is life of a tiler. :)

I lay the tile on my 45 degree inclined workbench, I then mitre while standing with the tile at hip level using an angle grinder. I leave about 1.0-1.5mm material from the edge standing and small imperfections I polish with a sanding disc ( 80 grit).

When tiling I have the edges come together at 45 degrees and grout so that afterwards only the front face of the tiles remains visible. A minor difference to your attached photos.

What's your setup?

Cheers
ouch!!!

S

SJPurdy

I clamp the tile to a bench. Then cut off 2/3 of the material with a grinder. Then going right to left, remove the remainder to about a mm. Run slow speed polisher, then finish with wet diamond pad.
Tbh I never suggexpst mitering as I think trims are less liable to damage .

S

SJPurdy

OOps pressed the wrong key!!!

I agree that with trims the edge is much less liable to damage and so will look good for longer. I have seen a few good mitred jobs that have looked bad because the edge has become chipped.
I have seen even more badly mitred jobs where the edge has been cut so sharp as to be dangerous.

I

Italy

here in italy. a small company. if need workings. like yours.
they pass every week. take tile. give them drawings and measurements.
week later. Their bring. processed material. as you have willed.
half bull. steps. porcelain and stone they work.
Retailers that I work. use a lot of this company. they are cheaper. that company .produce tiles.
antonio hoped that. understood what to wrote ;)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
here in italy. a small company. if need workings. like yours.
they pass every week. take tile. give them drawings and measurements.
week later. Their bring. processed material. as you have willed.
half bull. steps. porcelain and stone they work.
Retailers that I work. use a lot of this company. they are cheaper. that company .produce tiles.
antonio hoped that. understood what to wrote ;)
Perfect, I'd happily agree to mitering every job if someone else was doing it for me.

Reply to Hate Mitring in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks