Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Hardiebacker, do I screw down after addy has set? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I had a quick search, I'm doing some work in my current bathroom today and its time to screw the 6mm Hardiebacker boards down.

Never used these on the floor until now (always use them from now on) I would like to know the correct procedure.

6mm trowel?

Primer?

Plasterboard screws okay?

Do I leave it till tomorrow and screw down or do I screw down as soon as I've seated them on my addy (extended set).

Cheers guys, I'm going at 10:20 so advise would be great

Reaction score
I normally use a 4 or 6mm serator when fixing HBB and mix the adhesive slightly softer than if fiixing tiles.

Cut all the boards and lie them in dry to make sure they all fit OK, leaving a 3mm gap between boards. Lift them all and spread your adhesive for the fiorst row.

Bed the first row of boards in and screw down straight away at 200mm between screws.

Repeat as above, until floor is finished.

When set, I would go back cut self adhesive fibre tape to the joints and then with the flat side of your serator, smooth the same SPF adhesive into the joints, covering the tape as you go - make sure to leave them nice and flat.

Then, when done, get a nice cup of tea.

T

Time's Ran Out

Screw it into the wet fast set flexible grey adhesive.

Then I'd have a coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers guys,

As there are only 2 full boards down and a bit of a cut one and I'm not tiling till tomorrow, can I use my extended set and save my rapid for the tiles?

Sub floor is 18mm WBP scewed and glued to joists, solid as heck.

S

Stewart

Pretty much as above.

Cut boards to size and lay dry with a 2mm gap all around the board.

6d99023b-3724-6dbf.jpg

Use use 6mm trowel with slightly wetter adhesive.

6d99023b-3818-1c70.jpg

Fix down boards with a suitable screw at 200mm apart (28 screws per sheet)

6d99023b-38ba-6e02.jpg

Tape joints with a suitable fibre tape to use with cement based adhesive and I normally flush the tape as I fix the tiles.

6d99023b-3973-5518.jpg

I use no more ply which is basically the same and I always give it two coats of sbr in the workshop as I get it by the pallet and is something for the apprentice to do on a quiet day.

G

grumpygrouter

The adhseive is there as a void filler only not as a "glue" it is the screws that hold it in place so you could actually tile on it straight away if you wanted.

Reply to Hardiebacker, do I screw down after addy has set? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks