Search the forum,

Discuss Grout Stain and Silicone in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mick7

I dont think I can get anyone to help with my shower wet room - 2 days on the phone, see "discoloured grout" thread. So I am having to do it myself !!

I definitely dont think it is leaking from the tanking but could very possibly be from chemicals in shower products. Worse round the drain area, looks bluey/grey but it is'nt mouldy. The fall on the "impey" tiled floor is not quite as it should be!!!! so we need to squeegy some of the water down the drain. There is always a bit of water that lies here. The discoloration on some of the lower wall tiles looks yellowy/pinkish.

The grout is Mapei beige 132. Tiles are porcelaine limestone. Very small shower area 130 x 70 with large tiles 60 x 30.

Help please: I,m thinking of raking out floor/wall joints and replacing with silicone - I've got some "corner tape" so hopefully this should help an amateur like me. I'm thing as suggested using the Mapei beige grout stain to do all the discoloured grout. Any tips please.

D

Deleted member 9966

Mick,

re-grouting is back-breaking work. I've done it before in several bathrooms, and most recently in my parents bathroom (see my photo albums).

My concern will be, how often do you use this wetroom? Can it be out of action for a consecutive number of days? I did my parents bathroom over the week they were away on holiday.

Be very careful when raking the grout out. I have chipped numerous tiles doing it. The cheapest tool to rake grout with is small piece of wood with a nail knocked through it. Far cheaper than grout rakes and other mechanical/electrical tools available.

And if you're using grout stain, follow the manufacturers instructions very carefully.

Most pro tilers avoid doing re-grouts because it is hard work, and because they will struggle to guarantee the additional work they've done, over the first tiler who did the original install.

Out of curiosity, did you call the original installer and ask for his/her advice?

GRR :thumbsup:

M

mick7

Thanks for that

No, I would'nt dream of contacting the original tiler due to the problems that were caused by him in the first place.

Looks like its down to me. Not sure how successful this Mapei grout stain is!

D

Deleted member 9966

Thanks for that

No, I would'nt dream of contacting the original tiler due to the problems that were caused by him in the first place.

Looks like its down to me. Not sure how successful this Mapei grout stain is!

Mick

Mapei is a great product I believe (having never used it myself yet but lots of guys on here rave about them) but I am sure you won't have too many problems with it.

If you need any advice from Mapei, several of their staff are members of this forum, and you will be able to contact them directly to make sure that the product you're buying will do the job you require of it.

Just take your time with the grout raking. silicone slowly. and be very careful with the grout stain. It might be an idea to buy watercolour brushes from your local art shop or similar sized brushes, so you can get the grout stain exactly where you want it :thumbsup:

good luck, and if you can, try and get some before and after pics for us to see

GRR

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's more and more sounding like a damp problem to me but perhaps due to the sitting water. Soooooooo, perhaps you could tile over those tiles? Giving it an extra fall to the drain, and then re-grout that once tiles and that should be fine, and then leave it for a week or two (with using it) to get the flow of the water used to going down the drain and you should find that it stops soaking through all the cement products which should draw out the damp from the wall grout. Then once you're happy it's drying out quickly rake out the top surface of the grout on the walls (so to not damage the tanking) and regrout (sort of half the depth of the grout) which will give you nice clean new grout on the walls and floors.

That then isn't a tough job, and should fix the issue, providing it is that dampness that's always sitting there.

Does that sound possible to you? You'd need to get hold of some floor tiles for the shower area, and perhaps create a small nice looking step area if you can't re-tile the whole floor (which I don't think I'd bother doing).

That then might be enough for a professional to come around to take a look and give you a quote, as that's quite an easy job for a pro.

Perhaps I'm thinking a bit outside the box here?!

D

david campbell

you could also post on here you are looking for a tiler in your area,that way you can get someone reputable:thumbsup:

M

mick7

Hi

Thanks for help, yes i have posted for help but looks like no-one wants the job!

Looks like I've got to do it!

Reply to Grout Stain and Silicone in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen