Search the forum,

Discuss Grout or silicone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

garfield59

Hi,

I've finally finished tiling an alcove (I'm a very part-time DIYer) and intend to do the grouting at the weekend. However, I've see threads in these forum which mention silicone sealant being used on internal corners. As this is going to be a toilet rather than a shower/wet room would you still recommend silicone in the corners?

Also, there is no skirting so I need a neat finish between wall and floor tiles. Again, is silicone the best bet? I imagine the answer here is yes because there would be water on the floor while cleaning the tiled floor but I thought I would ask the experts anyway.

If I need to go down the silicone sealant route do I grout, avoiding the corner joints and then use silicone, or do I use the silicone in the corners first and then grout the rest? My instinct is to go for the first method in case I contaminate my silicone joints while grouting.

Walls are done with white 6" square ceramic tiles and floor uses light oak 12" square ceramics.

Any advice welcome, thank you

Garfield

D

DBR

hi go with your instinct and grout first avoiding corners and where wall tile meets floor and silcon all joints where not grouted better job i think.

W

White Room

The reason for siliconing the corners is because if there is any movement thats where it will be, don't grout into the corner line just use silicone..

J

jwatson

silicone all the places where the tiles meet. there should be a 2mm/2.5mm expansion joint between two surfaces that meet. eg between floor and walls, internal corners. if you grout the expansion, it will crack eventually.
grout up area, taking care not to fill the surfaces that meet, any grout that does go in the joint should be removed with a scraper straight after wash down process. with the area clean,dry and dust free silicone the joints. all of the reputable grout company's have silicone to match the colour of grout to be used. BE AWARE "siliconing" is an art in its self. a good steady hand, and a silicone profiling tool is essential IMO. :thumbsup:

Reply to Grout or silicone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen