Search the forum,

Discuss Grout lines around a room on different surface. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

clarky

Firsty. New here, looks a great site.

Few question..okay I lied..loads ! :O

I'm 1/3 of the way through redoing my Mum's bathroom for her. I'm using 9" x 18" unfilled Travertine on the horizontal in a brickwork pattern.

I have some substantial boxed in pipes and a wall which protrudes at a near 45 degree angle from vertical above this and below the window sills. The grout lines or tile breaks could fall on the angled surface and I wonder how most would deal with this, considering a new part tile will have to contine above the angled face and below.

Also when tiling the flat area at the foot of the bath should I follow the grout lines on the wall or possibly just opt for a much larger tile and fill the area in one section ( I am going to actually have my access panel on this surface rather than the side panel of the bath).

I assume the bath panel should match the wall above and follow the same pattern too.

Also.. the wall at the foot of the bath contains the main window and there is an area to the right which is no wider than the width of a whole tile. Should I start tiling the from the centre of this wall and just follow the tiel breaks in this small section rather than just use whole tiles all the way down ?

Any help really appreciated. I''ll try and add a couple of photos.

D

david campbell

personal choice especially with something as nice as travertine i would continue my grout lines through the floors and walls(i would do the floor first for this) if i read your part about the angled wall i would continue my grout lines from the horizontal,and if there's a side area make sure they tie in also(not sure how clear that sounds)

C

clarky

All sarky comments most welcome :smilewinkgrin:

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

For my sins I'm gonna tile the boxing in leaving top section removable for access.
IMG_0599.JPG

Hindsight eh... as you can see from the far wall the grout lines which work everywhere else wont here due to the 45 deg ish angle of the wall jutting out and meaning I's need two tile breaks. :mad2:
IMG_0600.JPG

I was thinking of using one larger tile to cover this bath end area as it will double as the service hatch. All access is good to shut offs, waste from here.

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

Really looking forward to tiling around the glass block windows and I'm currently on the hunt for some 25mm + tile edging to take out the inner edge of the plasterboard and the tile. May opt for a simple timber frame around each recessed glass block panel and then tile up to those. I hate them with a passion but not up to me...

IMG_0548.JPG

Quite a project..

C

clarky

personal choice especially with something as nice as travertine i would continue my grout lines through the floors and walls(i would do the floor first for this) if i read your part about the angled wall i would continue my grout lines from the horizontal,and if there's a side area make sure they tie in also(not sure how clear that sounds)

Yep that makes sense. The floor is a different rougher square tile in a lighter shade so it won't be able to match. Didn't want to put the Trav down because I thought it might be a bit dangerous for an oldster.

Cheers for the replies.

Reply to Grout lines around a room on different surface. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen