Search the forum,

Discuss Going self employed in 2018 ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perry

Sean what did you do in IT?

My story is identical to macten, but I’m a bit older!

25 years in IT and now I have been a tiler for 10 years.

I did a 4 week tiling course and 1 week plumbing course. I had redundancy money to fall back on too.

Ten years on I still love tiling, it’s not just a job. I still do 11 hour days (sometimes). I have never been an 8-4 worker. This forum has really helped. Research, research, research. I’ve even been on a job and ran into an issue, I logged on to the forum via the phone and within minutes I received a resolution.

I found that working slower gets the job done sooner. Trying to rush is a real no no as you WILL make mistakes. There is so much to learn in tiling, there are so many tools (most tillers love new toys.....I mean tools).

Look around (especially at CTD) for trade days. Speak to the industry sales men and women, speak to other tilers. Watch Youtube videos to see how not to tile!

Personally, I don’t advertise. I work with a couple of local builders and I get recommendations. Sometimes there are times when there is no work, but this is ok for me as I need the downtime for my body to heal from the aches and pains.

Working for myself I see a job through to completion. I meet lots of lovely customers. I am currently working at a lovely Indian couples home and they feed me exciting and exotic foods every day. I would not want to go back to IT. Good luck, and hopefully you will still be contributing to the forum in ten years time.

P

Perry

Its easy I would think for some. Like Sean than say for Beam, because the area they would be working in. Due to different housing IMO.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sean what did you do in IT?
Pete, I worked for Cable & Wireless and IBM on mainframe computers. I was in charge of a group of guys and girls supporting billing systems. We were all on call and often got called at various times of the evening/night & mornings to sort out problems with the bill production systems. I then had to look after other teams based in Warrington/Bracknell/Bletchley/London. I enjoyed it, but the management decided that an Indian firm (based in India) could run the systems far better and far cheaper than us. So we all lost our jobs. Cable and Wireless UK basically does not exist now. The management drove it into the ground and the UK government let them do it.

T

Tommcd

I’ve just gone self employed (since November) and I’m at the stage where I’m taking on real crap jobs that other bathroom fitters have not even quoted for. Hence this was my view on Friday (moving a toilet on ground floor with a clay soil pipe in 15 inches of concrete slab).

I have joined all the local buy/sell groups on Facebook and at least 2/3 times a day I’ll see new posts with people asking for a tiler. Not touched any of the lead buying sites yet as haven’t needed to. Good luck mate

4AB024AF-16AF-403F-A420-220EFDDE4066.jpeg

Coop5

TF
Reaction score
Cheers guys. Some great stories and advice. Wishing you all the very best.

I will keep you updated

Reply to Going self employed in 2018 ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen