Search the forum,

Discuss glass walls tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Max_Damage

I came across some glass tiles today(100x100x8mm black with multicoloured glitter) that will not snap after scoring. A local tiler brought these to me because he was having problems cutting them.
Most glass tiles will cut without problems because the glass is relaxed in the firing process. These tiles were fired with tension stress making them impossible to snap cleanly.
So ,if you have problems snapping glass tiles, it may not be your technique. Try a different make of glass tile to check if it's the glass that's in fired tension.

D

Deleted member 1779

We have been sent glass tiles in the past which proved difficult to cut and to drill holes into.

Please see example of tile that proved difficult.

Cutting Glass
glass_tile.jpg

Two attempts to cut the glass tile "straight line" can be seen above. The first (along the front of the photograph) was with an angle grinder. The idea was to score and snap the tile. However snapping this glass caused the tile to show a ragged edge. The second is a deep cut into the tile. At just over a 1/3 of the way in the tile snapped. This was attempted by a standard wheel cutter. To solve the problem the blade was changed to a high quality continuous diamond wheel.

Drilling Glass
In this tile you can see in the middle of the tile an attempt was made with a brick drill. This is not suitable
glass_tiles.jpg

In the centre of this tile the hole is as ragged and chipped as the wetsaw marks.

To correct this you need to use porcelain tile drills. Not brick drills.

brick_drill.jpg

To drill glass tiles you need diamond drills with ultra thin walls and a high diamond content.

When it goes wrong:
14.jpg

In this instance the installer tried to drill glass tiles via the grout line using a standard masonry drill bit. He believes if he uses the edge nothing will happen to the glass. In fact the pressure on the glass causes it to instantly chip and fail. This is now an expensive exercise in tile removal, replacement, re grouting. If you look carefully at the hole you can see the guy had barely even started the hole...

In contrast!
51.jpg

In contrast to the first tile this second tile is looking much better. The hole is solid and no glass chips or failure. The difference is that the right equipment is being used for the right materials. Glass tiles need a bit of thought! Above the hole was drilled with a diamond tipped tile drill. Using them will "grind" a hole rather than "drill" a hole.

C

CJ CERAMICS

Here is a sample from my album of glass tiles which i done last year on a hotel job,23 bathrooms with one wall at least glasses,some with corners,internal and external,hard to cut too but dry cut with sigma lightly and broke no bother,i was supplied with norcross glass and mosaic fix to apply them,turned out very nice lucky enough,my pic are from my mobile only so some might look off but should be ok.
hillhead-albums-hillhead-tiling-picture2632-hillhead-tiling-glass-work.jpg

very funky tiles :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to glass walls tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen