Search the forum,

Discuss Glad this one got away opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

hi all
went to quote on a job on sunday
Job consisted of 600 X 600 B&Q polished porcelain (not my favourite Tiles)
Tiles were covered in transit wax and the customer had sealed the tiles without removing it.
12 sqm conservatory all ready tiled.
now the tiles that were down were laid into a cement screed by the conservatory company just after they had finished building it (15yrs ago).
there was a crack line running right down the middle from doorway to doorway probably due to shrinkage of cement when curing.
There was also a lot of hollow sounding areas.
proposed to the customer that imo they needed to be ripped up and the floor rescreeded/levelled before tiling.

Customer seemed happy with my proposals and asked if i could do a full written quote explaining reasons, materials, timescale and labour charges (including stripping of sealent and wax and resealing)
so that she could run it by her son who would be paying.

This i duly did and delivered it on Monday, explaining that if they were happy with the qoute I could fit the job in before christmas if they didnt mind me working late. Total price to remove tiles, make good the floor, retile material and labour £550.00 . 1day to remove tiles and screed floor, 1 day to tile, 1 day to strip back tiles reseal and grout maybe a bit longer but only charged for day.

Receieved a phone call from the son today asking me why i was charging to remove the old tiles as surely this was part and parcel of my job??
and anyway another tiler who had also qouted on the job said that the tiles did not need to be removed as they had been down for so long now that although they had cracked and did sound hollow in spots due to length of time they had been down they would be ok to tile on top of???

and that the other tiler had quoted a price of £250.00 including materials. At which point i politely explained that again in my opinion this was the wrong way to go about the project and that i would only take on the job if I could do it my way.

He decided to go with the other tiler.

In your opinion Was my price to expensive and would you want to remove the tiles?.

chris

G

Gazzer

Your price seems very reasonable to me.....maybe you will get the job next time it cracks :thumbsup:

C

CJ CERAMICS

thank you, i didnt think my price was too bad either just really lopoking foe confirmation that really the tiles should have come up
because to me they should.

chris

J

jolly fix

i would have taken tiles up Chris,price fine too.stick to your guns and always do it the way you think/know is best.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
you were spot on chris they wiil probs ring you in a couple of months, to sort it out , good on you for sticking to your guns , price was fine imo

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your price.

These numpties are alway on the look out for a cheap price, regardless of "doing it right"
they deserve all they get tbh.

Got no time for these thicko's

M

Mike

you pay peanuts.......you get monkeys, springs to mind, we've all seen it before, it's hard competing with cowboys.

P

paul flight

chris , it seems like we are banging our heads against a brick wall at times:mad2: , we give good advise . which we have gained over many years of do good work and these idiots do not listen coz they think that they are saving money . makes me mad..:incazzato:

S

Stef

Chris you seem to get stuck with them, its not that same "Cowboy" they are getting in?

Smile in about 6 months time when they phone & ask, "Can you come & have a look at this floor please"

Reply to Glad this one got away opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen