Search the forum,

Discuss Glad this one got away opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

hi all
went to quote on a job on sunday
Job consisted of 600 X 600 B&Q polished porcelain (not my favourite Tiles)
Tiles were covered in transit wax and the customer had sealed the tiles without removing it.
12 sqm conservatory all ready tiled.
now the tiles that were down were laid into a cement screed by the conservatory company just after they had finished building it (15yrs ago).
there was a crack line running right down the middle from doorway to doorway probably due to shrinkage of cement when curing.
There was also a lot of hollow sounding areas.
proposed to the customer that imo they needed to be ripped up and the floor rescreeded/levelled before tiling.

Customer seemed happy with my proposals and asked if i could do a full written quote explaining reasons, materials, timescale and labour charges (including stripping of sealent and wax and resealing)
so that she could run it by her son who would be paying.

This i duly did and delivered it on Monday, explaining that if they were happy with the qoute I could fit the job in before christmas if they didnt mind me working late. Total price to remove tiles, make good the floor, retile material and labour £550.00 . 1day to remove tiles and screed floor, 1 day to tile, 1 day to strip back tiles reseal and grout maybe a bit longer but only charged for day.

Receieved a phone call from the son today asking me why i was charging to remove the old tiles as surely this was part and parcel of my job??
and anyway another tiler who had also qouted on the job said that the tiles did not need to be removed as they had been down for so long now that although they had cracked and did sound hollow in spots due to length of time they had been down they would be ok to tile on top of???

and that the other tiler had quoted a price of £250.00 including materials. At which point i politely explained that again in my opinion this was the wrong way to go about the project and that i would only take on the job if I could do it my way.

He decided to go with the other tiler.

In your opinion Was my price to expensive and would you want to remove the tiles?.

chris

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I have just walked away from a job, similar circumstances Chris, I always like getting the call months down the line. Could you come back and sort my floor out?

One of my favorite sayings is the old "pay peanuts get monkeys" another one that makes no sense at all, but always makes me smile is, " you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead" I'll get me coat:lol:.

Let them get on with it Chris:thumbsup:

I

Ian

I've done an almost identical job this week, 12 m2, remove old and replace with new, floor SLC'd after removal and your price is cheaper than mine. My point is that I provided a quality finish, using quality materials and correct prepping and fixing methods. The customers were delighted and thought it was great value for the job they received. You may never find out whether the new floor will last or not but, at least you don't have the worry in your mind that you had cut corners and done a job that a) probably won't last and b) could have ruined your reputation.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
As said really; advice and price spot on mate. You'll always get the builder or plumber doing a bit of tiling going in at a silly rate not knowing really what he's getting involved in.

I'd have said to the customer 'well make sure you hold him to that when problems occur, try to get it in writing from him that he said it is okay' just to give them something to think about in the back of their mind.

Reply to Glad this one got away opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.