Search the forum,

Discuss freestanding bath, floor support, tile choice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newplumb

Hi guys

About to embark on a bathroom job in the next month and would really appreciate some advice please.

It's a first floor bathroom and the existing floor is joists overboarded with chipboard. The customer would like a freestanding bath but hasn't yet decided whether to go for reclaimed cast iron, or a lighter modern one.

I'd like your opinions on what kind of flooring/tile combinations would be best for each of these two options. Given that the substrate would be going straight on to the joists, I'm guessing 3/4" ply probably in both cases, in which case do you think I could get away without building a plinth if the bath was cast iron? Then what options for tiles, to avoid cracking? Porcelain I guess, but anything else?

If the customer goes for a lighter modern bath could I get away with a thinner substrate, and ceramic tiles?

Thanks - looking forward to your replies
Matt

D

david campbell

Hi guys

About to embark on a bathroom job in the next month and would really appreciate some advice please.

It's a first floor bathroom and the existing floor is joists overboarded with chipboard. The customer would like a freestanding bath but hasn't yet decided whether to go for reclaimed cast iron, or a lighter modern one.

I'd like your opinions on what kind of flooring/tile combinations would be best for each of these two options. Given that the substrate would be going straight on to the joists, I'm guessing 3/4" ply probably in both cases, in which case do you think I could get away without building a plinth if the bath was cast iron? Then what options for tiles, to avoid cracking? Porcelain I guess, but anything else?

If the customer goes for a lighter modern bath could I get away with a thinner substrate, and ceramic tiles?

Thanks - looking forward to your replies
Matt

22mm ply would probably be the best idea due to the wight of the cast iron bath,other options for floor tiling could be travertine,i would probably not use ceramic on a floor as they tend to wear with traffic

N

newplumb

Thanks David,

So no need for a plinth then if I went for 22mm ply fixed to the joists?

W

White Room

If it is a cast bath would putting some extra noggins between the joists and using porcelain with a 100% bed

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I guess there are point loading and deflection issues with a free standing cast bath on timber floor. Is this likely to affect the choice of tile and adhesive. I just asking this one - I have not got the answer...:thumbsup:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cast iron bath + water + person is some serious weight.
I'd want to get a builder in to professionally strengthen the floor first before I took that risk.

N

newplumb

Thanks for all your replies so far. Some useful tips there. I think the customer is now favouring a modern acrylic rolltop bath, so hopefully that's one less problem to deal with.

However, for the floor tiling they would like black and white squares (diamond format), and they have their eye on "Forte" tiles from TileGiant (99p each). I'm pretty sure these are 300x300 and about 10mm thick ceramic. Obviously as the tiles under the bath will be visible, I'm still a bit concerned about cracking. Do you think these are suitable to take the weight of an acrylic rolltop bath?

D

Deleted member 1779

When I put this free standing bath in I put extra noggins into the floor joists below to improve the rigidity of the floor.

Had to cut holes in the middle of them to run the 40mm bath waste.

bath_full.jpg

The bath is a lightweight contemporary bath so much less heavy than cast iron. Sits on basic floorboards (tongue and groove) with 12mm ply on top.

PS: If you need perfect holes in your porcelain floor tiles for the waste pipe then we do a 45mm diamond tile drill.

N

newplumb

Thanks. So even with a lightweight rolltop, you would recommend 22mm ply (not 18mm - I'm taking this from your example of boards plus 12mm ply) plus joist strengthening? Is that right?

Do you have a view re the tiles I mentioned in my last post?

Thanks
Matt

D

david campbell

would use a porcelain or natural stone tile for a bathroom floor,and would make sure there is 100% coverage under the tile making the chance of any breakages virtually nil

Reply to freestanding bath, floor support, tile choice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen