Search the forum,

Discuss Floor prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi fella's
Looked at a job today, around 25m2 of floor tiling, 400mm square 12mm thick polished granite tiles. The floor as it stands is carp in the extreme, some butcher has been in with a couple of bags of latex and spread it aroundarbitrarily.

I ran an 1800mm level around and there are two or three low spots of around 12-15mm and one high spot of around 20mm in different areas of the floor.

Is it just a case of latexing as required or would it be better to grind out the high spot as best as possible first and then level? Fixing the tiles isnt an issue but I know the main part of the job is in the prep and havent come across a floor as bad as this before!

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If it was me i would make them sort it until your happy,i try not too get involved on really bad floors,small problems can be got over but big ones i tend to swerve.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Already said they could have a go at sorting it but they were not interested. If I dont do it then Ill lose the job and I'm not in a position to turn it away at the moment!! Its all gone a bit quiet.....:(

G

Gazzer

I would be wondering how secure this levelling was. Doesnt sound as if they know what they were doing. So have they used the correct stuff?

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is the 20mm high spot over the floor level so that the low point is 35mm lower than the the flat part of the floor?

Reaction score
What's under the latex?
ply, concrete, 6mm hardboard?
priming and all that?

Sounds like you're gonna have to sort the levels out.
So if it were me, I'd be finding everything out and then deciding and quoting for the best solution, I think.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry, OP should have said that its a solid concrete floor. Latex thats been put down was a two part powder/polymer liquid type.

Highs and lows were much further apart then the 1800mm straight edge I had to hand so didn't get direct difference's.

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Can you get the floor flat mate? Thats what i would be asking my self,not all floors are going to be great, its a catch 22 you need the work but you want to do the job right,if you need the work chop out the high point and screed the low points not ideal but sometimes needs must.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looking into hiring a floor grinder to take out the high spots. Will then fill the hollows with SLC and then give the whole floor a going over with SLC. I suspect the price will put the customer off but the room is about six meter's in length with a French door at one end, so a point light source right to the floor. If the tiles they have chosen are not flat then it will scream!!

C

charlie1

If the high spots where just localised areas then I'd certainly consider grinding down. A the end of the day mouldy, if you feel you have the expertise to do this job then go for it, sometimes we need to push the boundaries though, you live and learn! Go for it man, if you don't then someone else will!

Reply to Floor prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen