Discuss Fitting a tile edge in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Guru86

Hello,

I am about reayd to tile and have bought a white plastic tile edge to go on the ends of tile were it meets painted wall and round windows. How are these fitted?

Do I just stick them to the wall with the adhesive and then tile over them again using adhesive?

If so do I stick the edge to the wall first and wait for this to dry before tilling the rest of wall??

D

david campbell

i tend to stick them to the wall while tiling,after spreading the wall i put my trims in place about a few mm away from where the tile will be then slide them in as i tile up to them so thay are tight to the tile:thumbsup:

P

paulyoung666

i tend to stick them to the wall while tiling,after spreading the wall i put my trims in place about a few mm away from where the tile will be then slide them in as i tile up to them so thay are tight to the tile:thumbsup:

so you dont leave room for grout then ??? , just curious , i have been using square edge metal trim today and left room for grout between tile and trim :)

R

Rich

As David says, when you tile so the addy is wet and you can still move it around, that way you can get it nice and tight to the edge of the tile and keep it level.

P

paulyoung666

so leaving a gap equal to the 3mm mosaic gap is wrong ? , makes no odds to me as i aint ripping the tiles i have laid off :yikes:

R

Rich

Dont think it would do any harm, Iv done it once or twicw when Iv thought it would look better but I think 9 times out of 10 gives a better edge butter up to the tile. :thumbsup:

S

Sean fsy

again another subject where folk have their own ways of doing things, me personally i tile right round the window first and leave the trim and window reveal to the end. usually cut the bottom plastic first with a 32tpi hacksaw and small mitre block. always cut short(very minimal maybe 1mm) this will allow the vertical trim to sit into the mitre perfectly and not sit above it which doesnt look right sometimes. i then proceed to do the sides then lastly i do the top reveal and leave the trim sever so slightly long so its a nice tight fit(ok for plastic trim but obviously not for metal trims) most trims you will find are designed for the tile to sit into the trim, some have a little strip in them which can be removed dependeing on the depth of the tile. i sometimes also use toughened pointed staples to fix the trim into plaster etc just to stop them moving. i always say to myself never start to tile round a window if you dont intend to finish it straight away. like i say we all do things differently and do things that suit ourselves. i always tend to tile around a window in the morning so you can keep an eye on it over the day rather than leaving it overnight when you cant check it. some times cut a couple of pieces of wood to 'chock up' the tiles just for added safety.

P

Peter

Depends where the trim is running I suppose. If it's running vertically from floor to ceiling, I'd put the trim on first and then tile to it, but if I'm doing half height walls, I'd stick the tile on then squeeze the trim down into it. Window reveals, I'd tend to cut all reveals to ensure a good fit before tiling.

G

Guru86

Thank you, I will be tilling from floor to ceiling if I put this on first will I need to wait for adhesive to dry before putting tiles on?

D

doug boardley

again another subject where folk have their own ways of doing things, me personally i tile right round the window first and leave the trim and window reveal to the end. usually cut the bottom plastic first with a 32tpi hacksaw and small mitre block. always cut short(very minimal maybe 1mm) this will allow the vertical trim to sit into the mitre perfectly and not sit above it which doesnt look right sometimes. i then proceed to do the sides then lastly i do the top reveal and leave the trim sever so slightly long so its a nice tight fit(ok for plastic trim but obviously not for metal trims) most trims you will find are designed for the tile to sit into the trim, some have a little strip in them which can be removed dependeing on the depth of the tile. i sometimes also use toughened pointed staples to fix the trim into plaster etc just to stop them moving. i always say to myself never start to tile round a window if you dont intend to finish it straight away. like i say we all do things differently and do things that suit ourselves. i always tend to tile around a window in the morning so you can keep an eye on it over the day rather than leaving it overnight when you cant check it. some times cut a couple of pieces of wood to 'chock up' the tiles just for added safety.
same as for me Sean:thumbsup:

A

Aston

if you do it sean and dougs way which i do a lot of the time, sometimes you have to leave one side row of tiles out because it can sometimes be difficult to push the last piece of trim in, when all 4 sides are tiled...so in effect i would tiling the bottom, left hand side and top but i'd leave the right hand side tiles off, bed the remaining piece of trim then fix the tiles to that side..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the threads in the tiling forum that have had a lot of views are being bumped up into current discussion. Just walk on by if it's not your flavour right now. Perhaps it'll help somebody out one day, and they become members, and then they post a thread, and professional tilers respond, and then you learn something from them...? Maybe?

Reply to Fitting a tile edge in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay