Search the forum,

Discuss Fire Hearth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mrfitzgerald

Hello all newbie with my first post so please bear with me and sorry if it's posted in wrong forum!

We are looking to install a hearth for a solid wood fuel burner in our conservatory. We are going to cut an area of the existing wooden flooring out (920mm x 920mm) and was looking at placing 4 No. granite slabs (460mm x 460mm x 50mm thick) on top of the existing concrete floor.

Does anyone know if these would need to be bedded onto the existing concrete floor or can they just sit directly on?

Also has anyone any idea where I could source these items (I've tried numerous internet searches but to no avail)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Speak to a granite quarry. Lafarge have one at mount sorrel but there may be one nearer. The slabs should be bedded onto a bed of 3 or 4:1 sand cement mortar so that they are stable and firm. Dont forget you need building regs approval to install a solid fuel stove these days.

P

paul flight

mandarin stone will help you with this ( 01600715444 )
the slabs can be fix to screed using a rapid set flexi adhesive and flexi grout in joints . seal the stone first ok

P

Perry

any marble or granite worktop would help but not sure if it would be more 30 mm thick unless you go to a stone masons but would think 20mm would be ok

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hillhead

I'v fitted a few hearths lately, black granite and even marble.
Slate is used a lot too.
Generally it's better to get it it up off the floor by a couple of inches or more, it looks better too with a nice upstand around the front and sides.
Make sure it's all well bedded in.

Reply to Fire Hearth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen