Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion joints......... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Woody123

Evening all.
Just been to quote for a floor 2nite. Got their and find that a tiler has already started the job but is unable to finish it until January so the customer wants someone else to finish it.
She is basically having all of her downstairs living area tiled. (Dining room, Lounge and hall) the dining room has already been tiled in ceramic tiles going down onto concrete with no UFH. The area that she wants me to tile is 22m2 in all and i would say the dining room that's already tiled is about 10-12m2. Im not really happy finishing someonelse'sjob off but he looks like he has used decent stuff (Mapei rapid set addy and flexi grout) However my main question is for a area of that size would i need an expansion joint in there somewhere or would it be ok to just lay them as they are? Never done a floor this big before so was looking for a bit of guidance before i put my quote in. The only thing i wasn't happy about was that he has grouted around the edges of the perimiter where i would of siliconed it.
Also some of the floor where the hearth from the fireplace has been removed needs repairing and building up to the level of the floor. Is it ok to go with a couple of layers of rapid set to bring it up to level or would i have to use something else????
:whatchutalkingabout
Sorry for the long post and the questions!!

D

davy_G

Hi Woody,
I wouldnt be concerned about expansion joints with that area unless there are cracks in the screed. Might be worth putting a joint into the doors if a groutline is set out there.
I dont usually grout the gap or fill with silicone around the edges as i try and get the skirting board removed, tile it, then get (someone else) to re-fit it. It hides the cut tile and looks much better than cutting and grouting/siliconing to the board.

With regard to the hearth, check the specs on the bag of the addy your using, it will tell you how thick it can be put on and layer accordingly. dunlop large format is handy for building up uneven floors.

Good luck with it. Take a few before and after pics for us!

W

Woody123

Will do Davy, i always do take the pics before and after. I have a load on my digital camera that ive been wanting to upload but they are too big to fit on the forum for some reason. Trying to figure out how to resize them!
I agree with you about the skirting board it oes look a lot nicer finish but i don't the customer wants to take them off as she has just paid for a plasterer so if i attempt to take them off and damage the plaster then i will be in for the high jump!!:thumbsup:
Cheers for the advice anyway put my mind at ease now!

Reply to Expansion joints......... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen