Discuss Estimate & Quote ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alpha Omega

Hi All,

Can somebody explain the difference between Estimate & Quote,

Reason being, I just did an estimate but neglected to include the waterproofing.

I know I will look like a fool, but can I up the price ?, or should I take it on the chin ?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hi gary,

An estimate is an approx cost of the job whether this includes materials or not and a quote is a price that is fixed......:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Gary - The way I've always understood it is
Estimate : a guide to the cost based on the work itemised.
Quote : A fixed price based on the work itemised.

However depending on what you have included in the itemised work is the basis of whether you feel you can stitch up your customer for more money!
If it is something that you have forgotton to include but should have been included than its the chin job.
Personally I'd take the hit.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi alpha,,estimate can be changed and is what i alwats use now for material costing incase of price fluctuations/under estmation in materials etc etc. thats the reason there is such a thing as an estimate so your not paying for customers materials. your running a business i would build the cost of the tanking back into your estimate

C

CJ CERAMICS

Gary - The way I've always understood it is
Estimate : a guide to the cost based on the work itemised.
Quote : A fixed price based on the work itemised.

However depending on what you have included in the itemised work is the basis of whether you feel you can stitch up your customer for more money!
If it is something that you have forgotton to include but should have been included than its the chin job.
Personally I'd take the hit.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

fully agree the hit will have to be taken.....sorry:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

So if the item that was missed from the estimate was going to cost £1000 plus £300 labour should you take it on the chin? go back to your customer and explain the error, if he is genuine then he will accept your honesty and will want the job doing correctly, your there to do a good job and to make money.

:20:

T

Time's Ran Out

Gary
If the Estimate/Quote issue has been resolved and you've slept on it which did you provide.
Is it at the measure stage or have you started the job.

Without more details any further input on the moral position you are in would be wrong.
We can all 'forget' to include £1300 in a price to win a job but is that fair on the other 'honest job' tilers who provided the correct costing for the work required.

Timeless John.

D

diamondtiling

Gary
If the Estimate/Quote issue has been resolved and you've slept on it which did you provide.
Is it at the measure stage or have you started the job.

Without more details any further input on the moral position you are in would be wrong.
We can all 'forget' to include £1300 in a price to win a job but is that fair on the other 'honest job' tilers who provided the correct costing for the work required.

Timeless John.

To "forget" £1300 in order to win a job is not what I meant at all John, That would be devious and downright wrong, I gave that figure simply to ask if you would accept that amount as a mistake and pay for it out of your own pocket ? clearly no-one would, If the guy is talking about a few quid then fair enough if he can stand the loss then that would be up to him. I was trying to say that customers are not fools, being honest and open with them is always the best policy, they want a good standard of work and a finish that will last a long time, to admit that you missed something from the outset is a mistake that can happen occasionally, I cannot think of a time when a customer has thought I may be trying to pull the wool over his eyes.
If you bought a car and the finance firm forgot the take the money from your account for two years would you expect them to "take it on the chin", they would not be as obliging as you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Dom - its like too many Threads IMO - without all the facts its impossible to be specific on any topic and by answering are leaving yourself open to other scenarios.
People are posting questions and taking the views they want to hear and in most cases not even replying.
The point I am trying to establish in this case - if he has started the work and won the contract at a fixed price - whether estimate or quote - for the work itemised, he should do the work at the cost agreed, no matter how much he loses!
To answer your Question 'would you accept that amount as a mistake' YES - I priced my Solicitors offices in 1977 for half metre carpet tiles - 120sq mts -and I missed adding the labour total to the job! Did I get paid any extra -NO!
You learn by your mistakes.
If it is just a price at this stage he should inform his customer asap so they have a chance to accept his revised price or go for an alternative.

Timeless John.

Reaction score
how about extras during the job; we emptyd a pool a few weeks ago after agreeing a price and found two leaks and informed the client, in the mean time went away on other job. come back client said this made us to expensive and got someone (to take over ) nice one mate .can they do this when you have started the job???

Reply to Estimate & Quote ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay