Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss En suite wet room install in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

junkie

Hi folks, 1st time post here.:8:

I am planning on installing a wet room in my ensuite, total novice but a quick learner.

I decided it was a good idea to rip out the en suite as it had a horrible floor wall cubicle like a caravan does, then got it all bare and thought great now what do i do, been stuck for 4 weeks trying to decide the best course of action.

So here are some pictures of where i am upto.

Ok so the things i was thinking of doing...

Tank shower area and floor
Electric cable UFH
Totally tiled

I was going to drop the whole floor level on noggins so the floor height remains low.

Marmox showerlay tray
Marmox tile backer boards to whole floor + Ditra matting
Marmox the bare brickwork wall and stud walls

Now i se the wetdec stuff on here and it looks great but it also looks like the shower former will raise the floor too much and i have no walls to stick the membrane onto, also i dont want the black mouldy stuff coming through the grout thats usually associated with the grout and plasterboard, but will the membrane prevent this on the plasterboard if i did it that way.

I was going to use the marmox floor due to the UFH been on suspended timber and the wood can expand and contract, but if i read it right the matting on floors will prevent that anyway and stop tiles cracking.

So what showerlay former should i use.
What shall i use on the walls.
What tiles are best suited and the whole floor must be the same tile.
What size tiles will suit the room shape and former.

Please help im going round in circles, i think i have it all figured then 2nd guess myself as to which route is best.

Finally as ever cost is the biggest enemy but i have all the time in the world to do it.

Lets say 2k to floor form, tank, sink, adjust pipework [current shower waste drain was sat on top of the floor as well as sink hence why all the floor was coming up to re route it all as well as toilet waste], buy the tiles and pay somebody to tile it. Been quoted around £600 to tile floor and walls.

Many thanks for any help, and lots more questions coming.

Attachments

• 08062009073.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 08062009074.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 08062009077.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 08062009076.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 09062009085.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

hi recomend you get a pro in ask the boys on here to come give you a quote save you heaps in long run :8:

J

junkie

Well i dont mind doing the work i just need the advice on whats the best route, i was a plasterer for years so doing walls is no problem and i am a fridge engineer so pipework/plumbing is not an issue along with the electrics.

J

jay

thats fine but you would be suprised how much work is involved in doing your job correct and 1 little slip up can be costley even down to tile choice trust me tou can doo a lot but recomend you source a tradie to help guide you up to tiling stage then let them do it .:8:

J

junkie

Haha i know its just a name i use on other forums. Im not a junkie for the record lol.

Anyway thats why im here to get the guidance and why i also ask the question about what type of tiles are best suited, and why i am paying a tiler to tile it.

I know 1 slip up can be costly thats why i do have all the time in the world to do it right, measure twice cut once and all that. :thumbsup:

B

brian c

are the pipes in position for the shower?

do this first then cement board the walls.

install shower tray or former.

tank the walls then come back and ask some more questions.:thumbsup:

J

junkie

I understand all the sequence but thanks for the tip.

Where i am stuck is do i plasterboard, i will only do this if it will not get black mould through the grout.

And what floor former and thickness depending on how much of the floor i replace/lower, and what effect the UFH has on the floor type to choose, its just to warm the floor i think and not the room heating.

B

brian c

use a water resistant plasterboard or cement board and tank with a protective membrane.Use an anti mould grout from the Mapei range and this should lessen the chance of getting mould especially if you use a tanking membrane.

J

junkie

Thanks again brian, so my Marmox board on the walls is the right way of thinking and that can mean i should use the Marmox floor former and also do the full floor in the same material and lower the whole floor on noggins.

Where the shower will be in the pics, where do you think the ideal place is for the shower heads, blockwork wall, or stud wall divide between en suite and bedroom, bearing in mind were not having a screen and just leaving it open and the en suite door position, would it be advisable to build a small 100mm or something corner sticking out from the wall where the door is to prevent water going too near the door and water possibly going into the bedroom, i know if it does go that way i have a bigger problem to worry about, im just thinking prevention is better than cure

B

brian c

tbh ,contact wetdec on here and he will sort you out and give pro guidance on wetrooms as he is an expert in this field and he gives good discount to TF members.

B

brian c

also ,i think you will need some sort of screen to prevent the water from causing any damage in the bedroom etc.You can also slope the floor to prevent this.

J

junkie

I was hoping wetdec would have posted up but nothing as of yet lol.

Patiently awaits the info and help from you......

W

wetdec

Hi

Ok lets clear up a couple of things.

The area the former is going is the stud wall end .........yes

How wide is the stud wall

How far from the stud wall do youu want to come out (wet area)

Which way are your joists running when looking at stud wall

You want to use ufh over the whole room

:thumbsup:

J

junkie

The man arrives. Im at work at the moment but i did a diagram and photo'd it see last pic with dimensions on but yes the former is going where the stud wall is, the joists run from door wall to outside gable end where the drain will go to. I was going to put the former from stud wall to door basically approx 1100 x 800 as big as i can. Yes ufh on the whole floor including shower floor. The diagram is nearly to scale for a pretty good idea of the room.

Reply to En suite wet room install in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks