Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

grumpy

Irespective of spankys woes the original debate was simply this and nothing else.Are there circumstances where D&D is acceptable.The work that pjtiler does proves without doubt that there are.
A completly seperate issue is, In what circumstances is D&D acceptable?
i dont think anyone wants to lead that one off do they!

F

Fekin

I thought the original debate was wether dot and dabbing travertine onto plasterboard in "Mr Smiths" bathroom was a good safe method.

M

MICK the Tiler

All good valid points made for NOT using dot and dab technique Water penatration , differences in air pressure behind tiles all sound and time proven. Another point against D&D is you can get a case of what we call down here MIRROR TRANSFER I'm not sure if it has been mentioned my batteries on the laptop will run flat wadding through 20 pages of posts. What MIRROR TRANSFER does is it will draw the pattern created by the dots and dabs and reflect this through to the front of the tile causing light and dark shading where the D&D are especially servere on stone products but it can and will happen on ceramics and porcelain. You need to comb the wall and also comb the stone as well to create an even solid bed of adhesive wich will be solid across the entire back of the tile.

I still wet bed down here on certain jobs so 3000 odd years of simple techniques are still used today and it will out last any modern adhesive by many many years. Tell a adhesive sales rep that and watch him counter punch with all the techno mumbo jumbo.

T

The D

Irespective of spankys woes the original debate was simply this and nothing else.Are there circumstances where D&D is acceptable.The work that pjtiler does proves without doubt that there are.
A completly seperate issue is, In what circumstances is D&D acceptable?
i dont think anyone wants to lead that one off do they!
It all depends on what you are classing as d and d if it is the work pj is doing then I don’t really class that in the same league as it is mechanically fixed as well. But you could look at it like this the structural engineer did not think the adhesive alone was suitable.
If you are talking about five or six spots on the back of a tile and just stick it on the wall then I will be the first to say NO! Absolutely not! No way no how! Never in the reign of pig sh**!
:mad2:

P

pjtiler

I think we should get back on track forget exterior cladding it is a different subject we are talking about the domestic application of large format natural stone.
aye your dead right
i was getting Bord anyway:yes:
that bal rep will probably smack me if he see,s me at interbuild:grin:

B

Branty

aye your dead right
i was getting Bord anyway:yes:
that bal rep will probably smack me if he see,s me at interbuild:grin:
If you're refering to me, then no, I hate violence. I usualy get my big brother to do that for me. :grin:
If I was going, I would have gladly met up for a coffee.
As has been said earlier. Your cladding with mechanical fixing, shows spot fixing is not strong enough on its own. :yes:

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks