Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Branty

I have to add though. Your adhesive cant exceed a 6mm bed, 10mm in isolated areas. To do all this with a guaging trowel is very time consuming. If a wall is only running out by 6 mm, it would probably be easier to make it good before you start.

B

Branty

The big problem with d&d, is not necessarily the coverage, although that has to be good to support the weight of a tile. The big problem is bed thickness, if you are bedding over the adhesives limits (5/6mm for most bagged adhesives of most manufacturers), you run the risk of excessive shrinkage and tiles debonding. I've seen it for myself today. 800x800 tiles d&ded. If the customer hadn't been on the ball, and notice the tiles coming loose, then one of them could have well fallen off the wall with the slam of a door.
Just because someone says they been d&d fixing in prestigious establishments, doesn't make them right.
Adhesive technical departments also get called out to such places, to resolve tile failures.

F

Fekin

But we are getting away from the original problem of dot and dabbing in this thread, as that was onto plasterboard, and not blocks.

T

The D

The problem we have now is the people who have said d and d is a good and acceptable method have dropped them selves in it a bit. As they have said they do this all the time and it is perfectly ok and we are all fools for suggesting that it is not an acceptable method and we don’t know what we are talking about. But now they have said they do it they can’t go back and say ok all the jobs I did like that are substandard. The only way forwards for them now is to convince every one that they are right. They can post pic and clamed to be expert witnesses but can they get any adhesive manufacturers to back them up or can they show us in the British standards where it says this method is acceptable. And the British standards are the minimum standard that we all should be working to if you are not then by definition your work is below standard.

P

pjtiler

If all you can do is spot fix them, then I'd say they need to be mechanically fixed.
If you're just adding spots of adhesives to the back of a tile that size and weight, you're asking for trouble.
never done this sort of work mate have you ??
its a good job i have and so far ive not killed anyone

jobs like these are all done to the architects specifications
and checked daily buy the clerk of works and the site engineer
and just so you,ll sleep tonite i used
L pins

G

grumpy

Help me out.ive searched everywhere but cant find any mention from anyone saying they dd all the time.And havent some people aready said british standard is best used as a guide rather than gospel.Cant find any reference of any calling anyone a fool either.If someone would like to set a benchmark,something along the lines of how long bal gaurentee blue star for then we can look for proof that dd is good for that length of time.

P

pjtiler

The problem we have now is the people who have said d and d is a good and acceptable method have dropped them selves in it a bit. As they have said they do this all the time and it is perfectly ok and we are all fools for suggesting that it is not an acceptable method and we don’t know what we are talking about. But now they have said they do it they can’t go back and say ok all the jobs I did like that are substandard. The only way forwards for them now is to convince every one that they are right. They can post pic and clamed to be expert witnesses but can they get any adhesive manufacturers to back them up or can they show us in the British standards where it says this method is acceptable. And the British standards are the minimum standard that we all should be working to if you are not then by definition your work is below standard.
sorry you dont like the photos bud
i was only trying to show where spot fixing is used all the time and has been long before adhesive came on the sean being an old git though i would still rarther use sand and cement
oh btw i do use a cerated trowel from time to time
no more photos from me ok

D

dewaltdavey

do you not like wallpaper spanky i know a tiler near you whos good at decorating crap at tiling though :yes:

hope you get your bathroom sorted m8 looks amazing when fixed properly
i use 13mm notch double serate if walls bad and if that doesnt give a proper fix when using travertine would advise walls to be redone to decent standard after all if they fall off thats hitting my pocket harder than a ton of travertine

G

grumpy

i wonder how you would fix these sucker mate
1000 x 500 x 20 wieght 80 kg indian granite
spot fixed ?? (theres really no other way )
28072008211.jpg

29072008214.jpg
you clearly know your stuff.nice work.

G

GazTech

Help me out.ive searched everywhere but cant find any mention from anyone saying they dd all the time.And havent some people aready said british standard is best used as a guide rather than gospel.Cant find any reference of any calling anyone a fool either.If someone would like to set a benchmark,something along the lines of how long bal gaurentee blue star for then we can look for proof that dd is good for that length of time.
We at BAL offer no guarantee of large format tiles such as spankys spot fixed. September we bring in a 25 yr guarantee on all products, but this is provided that our specification for fixing is used, spot fixing method is not one of them.....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

its lovely sfuff to work with
the interals and exsternals make all the difference
I am sorry if I have upset you your tiling looks very nice but looks aren’t every thing I am sure you endeavour to do every job to the best of your ability as I hope we all do but you are making it easy for cowboy tilers to get away with shockingly bad work by defending this method in this thread you said in one post that the pics are spot fixed and in another you used L clips. They may well be spot fixed in mapi adhesive but they are mechanically fixed as well this is not in the same ballpark as the job in hand. if you are going to do that sort of work you are exactly right in saying sand and cement is the best way. (hope I have not made another enemy I have enough of them as it is.)

P

pjtiler

I am sorry if I have upset you your tiling looks very nice but looks aren’t every thing I am sure you endeavour to do every job to the best of your ability as I hope we all do but you are making it easy for cowboy tilers to get away with shockingly bad work by defending this method in this thread you said in one post that the pics are spot fixed and in another you used L clips. They may well be spot fixed in mapi adhesive but they are mechanically fixed as well this is not in the same ballpark as the job in hand. if you are going to do that sort of work you are exactly right in saying sand and cement is the best way. (hope I have not made another enemy I have enough of them as it is.)
theres no way there going back to sand and cement
the adesive reps have all but brain washed every bugger in to thinking they know best
well ive got news for them and you they dont

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks