Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

oogabooga

Sibs, to say notch trowelling will give something near full coverage sounds very ignorant - you must tile over perfect walls. If you've ever had to remove tiles installed in that manner you'd see for yourself that coverage is nowhere near what you might hope. If you want to parrot what you've been told then that's fine - just understand that it is the coverage that is important, the method used to achieve it is of secondary importance.

As for the lack of membrane, if you want to believe that notch trowelling will afford some protection to the substrate, well good luck with that!. Just so you are clear - I am not defending this guys work, it looks dodgey to me, it's just that you're rubbishing a method that you know nothing about and that clearly works everywhere else in the world except the UK:mickey:

U

uug197h

just to throw a spanner in to the works, just been to a job to remove a radiator and chance it to a towel rail the tiler had cut round the brackets so i had to remove the tiles and replace them, the tiler had notch troweled them but i pulled them of with my fingers. the tiles have been up over a year. the customer is looking at getting the full bathroom redone now, so even using a notch trowel dosen't mean the job is done correctly

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
maybe so, however what are the tiles fixed too ? Do you know if the walls were primed if need be ? Did he use the correct sticky ?

You just don't know !!!

I think with regards to the issue in hand we get Mr Holmes in. ;) He always saves the day!

Last edited:
S

sibs

And sweden!
oogabooga I wasn't rubbishing anything I was asking a question and when I tile walls I make sure I get 100% coverage and no none of the walls I have ever tiled have been completely flat and in such situations I would be back buttering my tiles as well as troweling the walls and also I think it depends on the size and type of notched trowel you use as to weather there is enough adhesive on the tile to fill in the valleys when it is pressed onto the walls...I tend to make sure there is if I do do that.
Don't forget I was refering to the walls in spankys bathroom. Newly hung plasterboard should be pretty flat don't you think?
On the subject of tanking the point I was trying to make is that spankeys walls weren't tanked and dotting and dabbing adhesive onto tiles in a shower area with untanked walls will afford the walls less protection against water ingress than if they were fully covered with adhesive. If you read my post you will see that I did say untanked walls weren't the ideal and I was refering to the fact that spanky's walls weren't, not that I wouldn't! If the customer offered me the use of aqua board or some other tanking system I would have used it but the contractor and the tiler turned it down.
At the end of the day all you can do is recommend that the area is tanked and if they don't want to spend the money on it then thats it but this guy did and the tiler didn't want to use it.
You still haven't answered my question!

K

Keith W

Hi
All the guys a spot on, dot and dab fixing was outlawed by BS donkeys years ago.
Incidentally, the term waterproof in relation to tile adhesives is generally missused,
any adhesive manufacturer using the term waterproof in describing a ready mix or cement based adhesive is missleading the tiling public and in my view should receive a good slap. The correct term is water resistant i.e. unaffected by water.
Keith W

P

pjtiler

Hi
All the guys a spot on, dot and dab fixing was outlawed by BS donkeys years ago.
Incidentally, the term waterproof in relation to tile adhesives is generally missused,
any adhesive manufacturer using the term waterproof in describing a ready mix or cement based adhesive is missleading the tiling public and in my view should receive a good slap. The correct term is water resistant i.e. unaffected by water.
Keith W
i wonder how you would fix these sucker mate
1000 x 500 x 20 wieght 80 kg indian granite
spot fixed ?? (theres really no other way )
28072008211.jpg

29072008214.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Hi
Keith W
british standards are guide lines not laws they are updated from time to time as new fixing methods come along if you follow the guide lines good luck to you but if you dont the tile police wont come and arrest you lol

B

Branty

british standards are guide lines not laws they are updated from time to time as new fixing methods come along if you follow the guide lines good luck to you but if you dont the tile police wont come and arrest you lol
But if a tile falls off and does some damage, you will be liable.

B

Branty

i wonder how you would fix these sucker mate
1000 x 500 x 20 weight 80 kg Indian granite
spot fixed ?? (theres really no other way )
28072008211.jpg

29072008214.jpg
If all you can do is spot fix them, then I'd say they need to be mechanically fixed.
If you're just adding spots of adhesives to the back of a tile that size and weight, you're asking for trouble.

S

spanky

I would think over a certain height it would definately be safer to pin them.

They are bery beautiful though.

B

Branty

I've worked for BAL only 4 months now, and I've seen plenty of reasons why spot fixing , and not getting a full bed of adhesive doesn't work, especially on floors.
If you have to guage your adhesive inatead of notching, you need to be getting 100% in wet areas.

S

Spud

I've worked for BAL only 4 months now, and I've seen plenty of reasons why spot fixing , and not getting a full bed of adhesive doesn't work, especially on floors.
If you have to guage your adhesive inatead of notching, you need to be getting 100% in wet areas.
i couldnt agree more this can be achieved if done correctly

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks