Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pjtiler

The 3 porblems with d&d are.
1. The risk of exceeding the bedding depths. 6/5mm, 10mm in isolated areas. this can result in the adhesive exsesivly shriking. As I said I looked at a failure yesterday of 800x800 tiles on a wall, where the thick bed of d&d adhesive had shrunk, and caused the tiles to debond.

2. You need to make sure you're getting 100% (or there abouts) coverage in wet areas, and 80% elsewhere. This is to be able to support the weight of the tiles.

3. The BS says weight limits of 20kg psqm on plaster, if you have a 12mm stone fixed to 5 or 6 dabs of adhesive, then you are far exceeding your weight limits.

If you can d&d, and overcome those REAL issues, then good luck to you. I'd rather see the walls made good, and serrate away.

This isn't from an adhesive rep. Its from a tiler of 10 years, who as always seeked to improve his knowledge, even if it means eating a few large slices of humble pie. Which i have done, and continue to do.
oh well i had,nt realized you got all them years in the trade
i wish now i had sort your advice before i started the job
Alas i went to the technical department of one of the leading adhesive manufacturers in the world (who sent one of there guys for a site meeting and agreed the proposed method of fixing ) at the meeting were the main contractors structural engineer,the architect, site agent,and the client
all of which have done similar jobs all round the world for 40 odd years
next job of a similar nature i promise to seek your advise as I'm sure your ten years experience would be invaluable
there is one thing you could help me with (im kinda set in my ways) should i stop organizing these 50 k jobs on the back of a *** packet with my oh it,ll be OK attitude
or should i handle it in the professional manner i have for the last 45 years

B

Branty

oh well i had,nt realized you got all them years in the trade
i wish now i had sort your advice before i started the job
Alas i went to the technical department of one of the leading adhesive manufacturers in the world (who sent one of there guys for a site meeting and agreed the proposed method of fixing ) at the meeting were the main contractors structural engineer,the architect, site agent,and the client
all of which have done similar jobs all round the world for 40 odd years
next job of a similar nature i promise to seek your advise as I'm sure your ten years experience would be invaluable
there is one thing you could help me with (im kinda set in my ways) should i stop organizing these 50 k jobs on the back of a *** packet with my oh it,ll be OK attitude
or should i handle it in the professional manner i have for the last 45 years
Why do you feel the need to revert to personal attacks?
I'm trying to make a point, that I'm not some 'rep', reading from a book.
Yes you have a much greater experiance of fixing than I do. If you've had an adhesive tech guy see the method you're fixing those tiles, and there happy so be it.
As I said earlier. If you can get the right amount of coverage, at the correct bed depth, then I can't see it matters how you arrange the adhesive behind the tile.

M

MICK the Tiler

All good valid points made for NOT using dot and dab technique Water penatration , differences in air pressure behind tiles all sound and time proven. Another point against D&D is you can get a case of what we call down here MIRROR TRANSFER I'm not sure if it has been mentioned my batteries on the laptop will run flat wadding through 20 pages of posts. What MIRROR TRANSFER does is it will draw the pattern created by the dots and dabs and reflect this through to the front of the tile causing light and dark shading where the D&D are especially servere on stone products but it can and will happen on ceramics and porcelain. You need to comb the wall and also comb the stone as well to create an even solid bed of adhesive wich will be solid across the entire back of the tile.

I still wet bed down here on certain jobs so 3000 odd years of simple techniques are still used today and it will out last any modern adhesive by many many years. Tell a adhesive sales rep that and watch him counter punch with all the techno mumbo jumbo.

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x...
Replies
Views
Landsteph
L
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.