Discuss Does anyone notch trowel both the tile and the substrate? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

Pardon ? I haven't been on a tiling course.
All of what I said is best practice, I'm sure most members do the same.

Q

Qwerty

That's a bit of bad advice, @Dan
Back butter all porcelain tiles, unless there a 4 inch kitchen tile. Back butter all large ceramics and back butter anything made of stone or natural material. You can double notch in areas if you require a bit more bed depth. It also helps to get good coverage.

Absolutely essential for porcelain. The amount of times I've removed porcelain floor tiles in one piece at the rip out stage and then the one tile where the tiler has bedded out to make up the height and its taken me 5 minutes to remove one tile.

I back butter nearly everything same as Andy, using a notched trowel on some of the bigger tiles, maybe a 4-6mm instead of a usual skim:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Porcelain. One of the most dense man made materials on earth. Is translucent?

G

GoneGuy

I always back butter any tile bigger than metros, with troweling both the substrate and tile I trowel both in same direction to prevent any air getting trapped

Reaction score
I always back butter, I always spread the back of porc. tiles and wall with flat trowel before using notched side and will always use a 4mm notch on back of tile if over 60x60. But I’m not a tiler.

H

hmtiling

Some tiles need skimming to fill holes or pits. Like tumbled marble.

Most tiles don't required back buttering if the substrate is flat and has been prepped well.

You might need to back butter corners of tiles that change thicknesses like slate etc. You start tiling with the thickest of the lot, and in the lowest corner of the floor then.

Nearly all tiles don't require applying adhesive to the floor and the tile.

And pretty much all wall tiles don't require it. Unless the wall is rough in an area or something.

Got a picture of what you want to tile?
Totally agree with local. Not the best advice.
What about surface contamination, pitts and hollows on the backs of a lot of tiles. Solid bed is essential externally and in wet areas and without back skimming not easily achievable. Not to mention the difference in bond strength

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Same here, back butter anything bigger than a metro.

Reply to Does anyone notch trowel both the tile and the substrate? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks