Discuss Do my porcelain tiles need to be sealed before grouting?? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Lukeyboy

Hi,

Got these tiles from a friend of a friend who had just finished a huge job and they were surplus, hence why I know little about them.

As thread titled, do my tiles need sealing before grouting? Only reason I ask is that somebody I know had some porcelain fitted and the tiller grouted before sealing and it left horrible stains on the black tiles that would not come out.

I found a local tiler, he has shown me lots of his work photos etc and the work looks good.

I asked him if these tiles needed sealing and he took a look at them and said no they don't they're porcelain they don't need sealing??

The tiles I have are

Terra Tinta Ceramiche 30 x 60. Model number is TTAR0436N Arch Light G Ret H52 20

I've looked on the manufacturers website and it doesn't say too much about needing to seal that I can see, it also says these tiles come in 3 finishes, matt, textured and polished. This might sound stupid but I have no idea which finish they are, they're flat and do have a bit of a shine to them but not sure I could say they are textured.

I tried spoiling one tile with some plaster and watered down paint, letting it dry then washing it off and it seems to have made no difference.

But want to make sure before we commit to putting these tiles down.

If anyone knows please let me know, I'd be very grateful.

Luke

W

White Room

Depending if there polished or not....or some maybe pre sealed but as you not sure what finish the tiles have maybe a link would be good.

L

Lukeyboy

terratinta
com
/PDF/
Archgres.pdf

I tried earlier and it wouldn't let me put a link in

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Normal rule is that if they are shiny/glossy then they will probably need sealing. As stated above they might already be sealed, but in either case you normally get some kind of technical info on the box.

You could always do a test on a tile with some grout.

or you could just seal them.

or you could find a company selling them on the internet and ring them for info.

Looking at the pictures of them they look like they don't need sealing.

I think that covers all bases!!!

L

Lukeyboy

Normal rule is that if they are shiny/glossy then they will probably need sealing. As stated above they might already be sealed, but in either case you normally get some kind of technical info on the box.

You could always do a test on a tile with some grout.

or you could just seal them.

or you could find a company selling them on the internet and ring them for info.

Looking at the pictures of them they look like they don't need sealing.

I think that covers all bases!!!

I emailed TerraTinta on Thursday evening, since they're based in Milan I wasn't expecting a quick response but sure enough friday morning they emailed me back

Good Morning,

Thanks for your request for information.

I am pleased to confirm you that the tiles you have are fully vetrified porcelain and that they do not need to be sealed.

Let us know if you need any further information.
Kind regards,
Elena

Thanks for your help guys, they are being fitted as we speak, might even put some pics afterwards :)

Reply to Do my porcelain tiles need to be sealed before grouting?? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks