Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ditra matt vertical movement. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

ncfc_andy

Hi there

Just looking for some advice as I'm caught in the middle of 2 tradesmen. I'm a decorator so have don't really have any knowledge on tiling.

Currentry having my bathroom re vamped bought some nice floor tiles but yesterday the bathroom fitter said he was concerned about laying tiles as there was vertical movement in the joists.

I then spoke to my tiler who said use ditra matt and said he would have no hesitation in tiling using that underneath says it was sound compared to floors he'd done before.

So my question is will ditra matt be ok ok with vertical movement or not????
He seems to think yes but the fitter says he will do it but won't guarantee it.

Stressed

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sub floor needs to be sorted before tiling to get rid of the deflection .
Dittra mat is more for lateral move that you get with ufh.
It may help a bit.....but the big question is how much is your floor bouncing .
Either way if you're tiler tiles it them he's liable for it....end of !!

N

ncfc_andy

Sub floor needs to be sorted before tiling to get rid of the deflection .
Dittra mat is more for lateral move that you get with ufh.
It may help a bit.....but the big question is how much is your floor bouncing .
Either way if you're tiler tiles it them he's liable for it....end of !!

O

Old Mod

As Andy above, Ditra does not prevent vertical movement, deflection or bounce, which ever your preferred term.
It combats only lateral movement, expansion and contraction of a substrate.
Two simple tests can help determine the effectiveness of your floor.
1. Cross haired laser places on the floor with a horizontal bea switched on.
Walk around it and watch for vibration in the beam, don't tip toe around it, walk like you mean it.
If there's excessive movement it will show up immediately.
2. If you don't have a laser to hand, use a brim full glass of water, if it spills, you have your answer.

Simplest fixes are either lift your floor and reinforce the joists, or overboard first with a cement board.
The boards don't officially strengthen a floor, but experience says that it does.
Lay boards perpendicular to existing floor making sure joints beneath don't line up with the new ones.
Use tile adhesive to stick them down, then screw them to the floor when dry. 300 centres max.
You can dispense with the Ditra then.
As long as you are not using a natural stone, the boards will have some decoupling properties.
If you are, an antifracture matt would also be useful,
They're about 1mm thick on average, so not too much extra build up.

Reply to Ditra matt vertical movement. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks