Search the forum,

Discuss Discoloured Marble, New Install. Help Please !! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marblehelp

they have not been sealed - they are very polished though which i hear works sometimes like a seal making it hard for moisture to escape.

T

Tile Shop

they're grouted??? with epoxy??? and not been sealed first???

Never heard of that before. I must have missed something if anyone can clarify what it is?? Anyway, the grouting alone will lock moisture in.

The first time they were laid and when the replacements were also laid, how much time was given after fixing before the grout was applied for both instances? It would also be helpful if you could answer if the adhesive was slow or rapid set. Exact name would be better.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above , good thing we are not sealed , I have had floors take a couple of weeks to shed a slow set addy through a dense tile, we may just need to wait and let it dry , hopefully it won't water stain before it releases.

Bit about the polish acting like a seal- myth , the moisture release will be the same.
If I had a pound!!!!! For people not sealing before grouting because of a polished face and they get a contamination

T

Tile Shop

Bob, can you clarify something while we're on the subject of sealers and epoxy.

Ltp do a sealer for crackled tiles (solvent based). On the tin it said not to use with epoxy grout. So i rang them to ask if any of their other sealers would be affected and they said it may affect any of their solvent sealers..... so.....

1. Have you heard or had any experience with sealers failing with epoxy grout?
2. Ltp would suggest their mpg sealer for polished marble.... but would their mattstone h2o work with epoxy and a polished tile? (I would ask them but its out of hours and i'll forget by morning)
3. Baring in mind we want the marble to dry out, what would be your step by step guide have been to laying this floor with epoxy grout and Lithofin sealers? (Including aproximate drying times)

I know its a big question or 3 so sorry to lump this on ya, but i need to learn this kind of stuff and i have to get you back somehow for suggesting people find my tent and wee on it! This goes a small way :mad: lol

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Paul ,
Epoxy grout is generally fully chemically resistant, once cured the solvents should have no effect on this grout short term during the saturation period of a solvent impregnator To seal the stone.

The water based should work fine on the stone with the correct saturation but again the epoxy will repel it , you don't need to seal the epoxy grout. I seal with our Eco water based not a problem, still would seal with the Mn solvent if possible like the mpg. (25 years of putting it down, I like the buzz!!! Always use solvent based sensibly and ware a mask. Do not take to Glastonbury !!!

Finally , I didn't think as you did, epoxy would be used surrounding a natural stone tile.
Have had issues with bleed from this type of product before ( long time ago) but again I didn't think it was advised to be used with these products . Ceramics only.? Sure the guys can give us the correct info on this. so i wouldn't ever spec this up!! General natural installation lay- ensure all moisture released , seal, grout generally cementisiouse , again once fully dry impregnate again.

T

Tile Shop

So the other way round, if sealed like it should be first, then applying the epoxy, would that have a dodgy affect on the seal?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I imagine this would not effect the impregnator ( solvent based)will be cured water and oil reppelance, it may re activate slightly with its chemical make up . But again should it be next to a natural stone? Will look into this.

Lee T

TF
Reaction score
Looks like moisture still in the tile too me he could of used rapid set white with the other tiles and maybe a grey adhesive in these

Reply to Discoloured Marble, New Install. Help Please !! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen