Search the forum,

Discuss Different Mitre Testing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

Rainsco have you looked at the Raimondi Bull dog its small enough to carry on your van or if you want it to profile really large tiles you could go for the BI bulldog ,The bulldog is a special machine just for edge profiling and mitres which you could set up in your work shop ,I intend doing my mitring on my wet saw but leaving a blunt 2-3mm edge and finishing it off with the new ATS mitre wheel on a variable speed polisher inorder reduce the time it take by hand, really enjoyed reading about how you are dealing with the problem of mitring porcelain and look forward to seeing your work in the coming months :thumbsup:

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I allways cut mitred corners on wet saw (d24000) , but when you have some U, E, L shape , this is where ATSDiamond tool will become handy. Some times cut mitre when tile back side up, so as Gary said, leave 2-3mm and finish it off with "mitre mizz" and flex polisher :hurray:. We should get together Gary, and try some cuts with our new tool :thumbsup:

R

rainsco

Rainsco have you looked at the Raimondi Bull dog its small enough to carry on your van or if you want it to profile really large tiles you could go for the BI bulldog ,The bulldog is a special machine just for edge profiling and mitres which you could set up in your work shop ,I intend doing my mitring on my wet saw but leaving a blunt 2-3mm edge and finishing it off with the new ATS mitre wheel on a variable speed polisher inorder reduce the time it take by hand, really enjoyed reading about how you are dealing with the problem of mitring porcelain and look forward to seeing your work in the coming months :thumbsup:

hi gary, a workmate of mine has the bull dog. the problem of this machine is the 45degree grinder. because on the edge the grinder has not very much to do but on the other side it is a very massive removal. so the 5xx euro milling wheel make exakt 45 degree mitres when its new but then after a certain numbers of mitres there is no more exact angle.
i was a few weeks ago at the distributer of this machines for germany and saw the used wheels. there were unilaterally deformed.
the machine needs a straight wheel in 45 degree arrangment in my opinion.

here is another one for heavy use: Ferrari e Cigarini – ceramic plants and equipments for ceramic,porcelaine, marble,bricks,granite,stone,conglomerate,glass and special trims,Maranello,Modena,Italy

today i sanded the first glued mitres. here are a few fotos of the projekt i talked about. look at my machine park for this small toilet room!
glued-miters04.jpg glued-miters01.jpg glued-miters02.jpg glued-miters03.jpg
the miters are not final sanded. i sanded with C600 but i think i try C800 so the edges get more darker. the glueline is not perfekt but in reality the glueline is relatively unflashy. the edges are nice to touch.

the cad of the room:
wc-0501.jpg wc-0502.jpg

R

rainsco

I don't know how many guys on this forum know Karl dahm but they are consistently the best in the business for tools and cutters .some of their own cutters look so basic but they do the job..

just want to say something about karl dahm. i not very often buy my tools at karl dahm. he has a good catalouge and sortiment but all is expensive. something of his inventions seems a little bit to strange for me.
@houston
i was this week on the BAU fair in munich and can talk a little bit about wet saws here:

the wet saws called karl dahm supercut are from Englhard Maschinenbau . so the advantage of contacting the producer direktly is he can make special versions or special lengths and so on. he also build the highline wooden dry cutters for karl dahm. i saw his new machine on the BAU Fairand talked to him what he´s planing. he goes not in my direktion but maby he has interesting produkts for someone else in the pipeline. a dry cutter for 3m tiles based on a solid table. the table is also available without the rail. its just a solid table.
then a new light 1,80m wet waw for wet and dry cutting. with an light engine and the option to change the diamond blade with an dry unit. so you can use your wet saw for cutting tiles like on a tile cutter. a special breakage unit is also on board. the machine can also completle fragmented.
for me it is no praktical thing. if i have a site i use big tiles, i need the dry tile cutter and the wet saw. and i never take my wet saw to a site when i just need a dry tile cutter. and i don´t want to convert it with screws on site more often.

i use myself a englhard "meistergold fahrbar" and this is a very solid but also heavy machine. the rail profile is perfekt for wet saws. as you see on the photos i use the 2,50m rail for my custom saw and it is with no flex or something. the machine has a little bit problems about handling. i don´t like the position of the grip and the water sprays alwas on you when you. but quality is realy good for the price. miters can be do by array the table. for fast work with normal formats i like this more. good machine build by an mechanical engeneer not by a tiler.

the kaufmann saws from austria (Kaufmann Göfis ) have a good feature i like very lot. the fence for tiles or stone is not in front and can disguised because of transport or something or flex from 90tie to someting else because of the tiles length. you can clip two ones on the side of the watertub or on the side tables. the machines has a feeling like wooden saws. i think thin stripes can be cut very accurate without flexing the fence. for miters you can fix the tile also better with the side fences. this is a good feature i like. maby i buy a titan saw in 2.50cm length it depends of a few trials this year. i think its a very longlive machine. every part of the machine can be ordered.

here ar pics from italmont ( Italmont Home ). they distribute the raimondi machines ( :: Raimondi Utensili - Home Page :: ). i can´t tell you about this machines but the raimondi produkts i have in use (core drilling machine) are very practical.

messebau01.jpg messebau02.jpg messebau03.jpg messebau05.jpg

i tried the sigma rail cutter. thats a very simple tool. i like it from the feeling more than the raimondi free cut and the suction caps are not really needed. the disadvantage of the sigma is he can not separable. but i like the handling, the massive rail and the easy running slide.

messebau04.jpg

anyone here has got such a mix machine? i think i want to buy one for the shower screeds i have to made or to equal stairs. thats a very light small and simple machine. the engine is saved on bottom and the mix linkage is very massive and easy to clean.
messebau07.jpg

another thing i wanted to buy is a dust killer. something like that:
http://www.werkzeuge-mit-ideen.de/admin/show_image.php?id=17967&height=400&width=400
anyone experience with equipment like this?
the one on the photo is a dry machine with high power. it cleans until 3400 m³/h . my idea was to use this one not only on bathroom renovations ore other renovations . i wanted to use it on site to fix the pipe on the table i grind dry with angle grinder. i produce a lot of dust and i think this machine reduce it very good. but the price is huge!! 2500euro is a really big invest for something i don´t know it it works well.

ah by the way i can´t resist temptation. i want to test it tomorrow.
messebau06.jpg

there are a few points i want to improve it. and if it works well i got the idea of a new selfmade machine. maby i build up a prototype next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Hi Rainsco I made some video of hand mitres with a 800 long tile using a 115mm grinder with a porcelain blade and 100 buffing disc and will post some more video when I use the m14 mitre wheel ATS made for me to compare the results
if you watch the video I reverse edged the top edge of the tile to give me a straight line to work to as the cut edge was very rough from cutting with a manual tile cutter this also helps with protecting the glazed edge from chipping then just sanded the edge of the tile carefully until I had .5mm edge not sure what the exact angle created is but the mitres look very good fitted except that they open very slight at the centre of the joint where the tile is slightly bowed I will post some pictures of the finished job to show you the results when I get back there later this week [video=youtube;VuSD-AUNUiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuSD-AUNUiw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

R

rainsco

yes, lets post some photos and videos.

i have done the sanding of the edges today. and then tiled the floor.
i think it will look good after groating and cleaning the tiles.
glued-miters05.jpg glued-miters06.jpg glued-miters07.jpg

testet my new flex yesterday. the first tests the rail does not hold so i weld two special clamp i can slide into the original grooves on the backside. so now it fix perfekt.
for site i have a waterpump and tube.
i miter with the flex and the first try´s are difficult but then it gets better and better. i think i customize this saw as much as i can. its nice and mobile.

glued-miters08.jpg

the next ting i absolutly need is a perfekt table. i want to built one.
i saw one in the festool catalog and i like to have clamps in all areas and built a perfekt mobile center for miter and sawing in no restrikted length.
http://csimg.shopwahl.de/srv/DE/290...id/T/340x340/C/FFFFFF/url/festool-festool.jpg

C

Concrete guy

The Flex saws are a great tool, they just didn't think about the design of the rail and didn't allow for any clamping points that allow you to cut from end to end without interruption. I even spoke with Flex about this and suggested some design changes but nothing appears to have happened.

What blade are you using in the Flex rainsco? The standard blade is really for stone only - it doesn't seem to behave very well with porcelain.

R

rainsco

the rail has two grooves. in the front groove you can use the clamps when you cut straight, in the second grooves you can use it when you use the miter cut. i make a video. my clamps are very good.
i use the turbo blade from flex. flex has 3 driffrent blades. i think i try a rainforced 150mm blade and i have to customize the waterflow. i need much more water on the blade.

flex has only have to rebuilt the festool saw and make it ready for water and stone use. the flex saw is ok but lot of things can be improved. the platform is not very solid.

Reply to Different Mitre Testing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen