Search the forum,

Discuss Depth of reveal/window frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

FreeD

Always struggle with these...getting them the same width each side. If width of the window frame on either side is not identical how do you get both sides identical thickness once tiled?

M

Mike

evening out the frame would have to be done before tiling. if they're that bad you could plasterboard one side to make it even it out. a lot of windows aren't even due to one side being thinner as the opening window hangs on it

F

FreeD

Whats the quickest way of doing this with rapid set...do you attach a batten to the wall to rule off?

D

Daz

If the walls are plastered, you will usually find "high spots" at one or two of the facing wall corners. I've never understood why, but it seems that plasterers taper in or out as they get to the reveals and don't seem to be able to use a feather edge across a window to ensure consistency.

As Mike says, you will need to make flat and even up prior to tiling if you want them even.

M

Mike

you could do it with a batten nailed to the face of the wall or you can just dot and dab plasterboard (with dry lining adhesive) both ways are effective to straighten/build out the reveal

F

FreeD

Ok thanks, thought you might use measurements of the tiles to straighten up as you go, but makes sense to sort the reveals first

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

you can do that if there's only a slight difference but if its a lot it's best to straighten/even it before tiling

F

FreeD

is this something you would give the customer the option for or just do it as part of the job?

W

White Room

I use one of these for the plastering to reveals to gauge it and get an equal depth which could be usefull for the tiling
640006_squangle_f2.jpg

C

Colour Republic

is this something you would give the customer the option for or just do it as part of the job?

Just do it really unless it is going to take a bit of time faffing around, then explain what you plan to do, why and then how much.

Reply to Depth of reveal/window frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen