Discuss Decision time ref: washboy in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeff the tiler

Okay all after reading threads etc i have decided to move into this century. Out with all the old and in with a new washboy.

I mainly do domestic work, so floors very seldom over 30+ metres.

Would like to your thoughts especially if any of you have used both the Skipper and Karl dahm. I know there are threads saying which is your own preference but would like to know why, as would really like to purchase the right product first time. Also any other washboys you are using and can recommend.

Question. Karl Dahm or Raimondi Skipper and why.
Question. Maximo profil with 3 slotted rollers from Pro tiler, has anyone used one as not sure of it's durability.
Question. Any other washboys worth considering

Washboy sponges sliced/block as they seem the most recommended

Question. Raimondi, Tile trader or Rubi and why.

Thanks all. Would really appreciate your views

B

Bubblecraft

I've only tried the Karl Dahm wash boys which are great but very seldom do I do super large areas. I'm a sponge & bucket guy. It works for me.

G

Gazzer

Sorry I havent tried the Skipper , what does it hold in litres ?
A few things to think of is how much does it hold? The Rubi ones are too big and hold far too much IMO. I dont use wheels on my washboy either but its good to have that option.
The Karl Dahm that I have is fine but if I were to change anything then maybe 3 serrated rollers.
As for the sponges I prefer the plain ones and not the sliced one. Some people say the opposite though.

B

bugs183

Can't go wrong with the Karl Dahm, just feels like a nice piece of kit, the rollers are solid and don't break like the cheapo plastic ones.
As Sir Says, not tried the skipper, but for big floors 30m2+ i get out the Raimondi pedalo, overkill for most chaps, but i seem to get big floors and they come into their own then.
I've not seen a massive difference in the finish with the serated and non serated sponges, but everyone washes differently.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
KD all the way, mine latest is going strong after 6 years I think it is, loads of m2, new sponges obviously but the rest keeps going strong.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I couldn't get on with the washboy. All of my work is domestic, and i don't see any benefit in using a washboy over a bucket and sponge in this situation. I found that i was over-wetting the grout with the washboy (no doubt user error hehe)!?!

D

DHTiling

Karl Dahm or BAL wash boys , basicly both the same piece of kit, very strong buckets and really good roller systems , had mine a few years now and as good as new build build wise.

Segmented sponges ARE better than none as they grab particles easier and cleaner.. Any tiler worth his salt will know that :):):)..

Washing off with a hand sponge depends on the tile and grout type.. some grouts i do the first wash by hand sponge and then clean down with the washboy ..for a nice quick clean ..

O

On one

Can't go wrong with the Karl Dahm, just feels like a nice piece of kit, the rollers are solid and don't break like the cheapo plastic ones.
As Sir Says, not tried the skipper, but for big floors 30m2+ i get out the Raimondi pedalo, overkill for most chaps, but i seem to get big floors and they come into their own then.
I've not seen a massive difference in the finish with the serated and non serated sponges, but everyone washes differently.
I've thinking about getting a Pedalo for a while now, but £180 for what is essentially a bucket and a pole with a sponge on the end is a serious bit of money. No doubt worth it in the long run but a bit overpriced.

D

DHTiling

I've thinking about getting a Pedalo for a while now, but £180 for what is essentially a bucket and a pole with a sponge on the end is a serious bit of money. No doubt worth it in the long run but a bit overpriced.

How wet do you get your floors to require a pedalo.. :lol:

transport_pedalo.jpg

B

bugs183

Until you use a Pedalo you'll never know.
It's way more than a bucket and a pole.
£180 will pay for itself in no time all, both financially and the fact you are stood up!

G

Gazzer

Until you use a Pedalo you'll never know.
It's way more than a bucket and a pole.
£180 will pay for itself in no time all, both financially and the fact you are stood up!

Yup keep off those knees as much as you can !

Reaction score
yes tha'st one very good reason i bought the burta machine for the clean-up ,it's all very well us covering thousands of meters of tiling in our careers, but never forget there is always a physical price to pay !!, usally at the end of your career / or life ,with worn out body part's , they only have so -much wear in them like everything els we use,and will fail eventually :thumbsup: as some of us older ones are finding out :juggle:

Reply to Decision time ref: washboy in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay