Search the forum,

Discuss CSCS Cards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

garybadger

Hi people, quick question for everyone.

With everything being geared towards health & safety nowadays.

To actually be able to set foot on a site now, you need a SVQ/NVQ to get the correct CSCS card for your trade.

How do the people that have been tiling for years feel about having to go to college and take one of these courses just to set foot on a site?

I have a guy working for me that's been tiling for 13 years, is known on all my sites and a really good tiler but now I have to get Construction Skills in to get an on site assessment(hopefully) just so he can set foot back on the site's.
I understand you need to move with the times, but surely there can be some sort of compromise for the people that have done on site apprenticeships(better in my opinion) and are known throughout the trade, rather than someone doing a 3 week college course and getting one of these cards saying they are a tiler??

T

tfs

Its more than just doing three weeks at college mate. You need to prove that you are eligable to get qualified by proving you have been employed in the trade for the last three years and have refferences, invoices or payslips etc

Your guy can get an experienced worker assesment which is 1 full day of tasks that he is asked to perform at a selected training centre. After succesfully doing this he will get his card.

The other route is OSAT which I have done to get qualified as a Joiner, this was just a case of getting reffecences together from previous employers in the sector, cv, copies of invoices, risk assesments and any other documented evidence like websites or work portfolio. This was followed by two or three visits where the assesser asked me questions about my method of work (why I am doing this and how would you go abiout doing that) and also took film evidence of me working completing Maintenance, first fix and second fix tasks. This is an easy process for someone with the correct skill level and experience.

The only down side was having to fork out £600 to be assesed.

P

Perry

well i work on sites with my labouring card you just have to do the heath and safety test i have a nvq but haven't renewed my card yet as it still has time on it

T

tfs

I know many guys who have the standard CSCS card too and the last guy was a bricky with 30 years behind him. I think it would only be a problem if you come across a real akward site agent during your induction etc.

G

Gazzer

I know many guys who have the standard CSCS card too and the last guy was a bricky with 30 years behind him. I think it would only be a problem if you come across a real akward site agent during your induction etc.

I know a few of those :mad2:

P

paul flight

and to top it all a cscs card is not a goverment run org and is not a legal requirment!!!!!

S

Stef

I got my cscs card a year past january for a contract with miller homes.
I never knew or have ever heard of needing a specific card relevant to your trade.

With some of the site work i have seen then half the so called tilers will be out of a job as they wouldnt pass a skills test.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I know a couple of time served tilers who sub for mostly one company, they got their CSCS cards through the said company. To keep it cheap the firm issued them with site operative cards, they were pulled on one job because they were tiling with an unskilled card. To do with insurance I think.:mad2:

Reply to CSCS Cards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen