Search the forum,

Discuss Corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newpark7

Hi all

Just finished a bathroom job walls, floor, shower etc. Customer not home when I left but recieved a text in the evening to say that bathroom looking good and could I finish the project by fitting the door plus threshold and bath panel etc.

I agreed and duly returned a couple of days later and finished as requested, customer not back as before. Today I received an email saying that they have now had time to inspect the bathroom properly and whilst they are happy that the finish is to a high standard they are not happy with the colour match of the silicone in the corners, and that the light reflects off of the shine of the silicone and want the silicone removed and replaced with grout instead.

For your info I used Bal superflex Ivory wall grout & Bal champagne silicone which I was told by Topps is the closest match.

My problem is do I remove all silicone and replace with grout? try and find a closer match silicone?

I have advised that the corners are classed as an expansion joint and should be siliconed to allow for natural movement in the house (bearing in mind I am the second tiler as the first tiled the chipboard floor with standard adhesive and the tiles cracked and lifted with the movement in the floor) I have re-tiled using Fast-flex.

Despite all of the above they are insisting I grout the corners instead.

Any suggestions on the way forward (bearing in mind I haven't been paid yet) would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

You can remove the silicone with a silicone eater and then clean up and grout...get paid then get the customer to sign your invoice saying that you are not held responsible if the grout cracks in the corners.....they always think they know best.....
Or you could hunt around for a closer match but do you think they would be happy with that coz i don't......:grin:

B

bigdaz

if it were me I'd explain all that could happen and if they still wanted it grouting then tell them you wont be able to gaurantee the work but do it to get your lolly

N

newpark7

Hi Dave

You are right - No I don't think they would be happy, is there anything I could mix with the grout to make it more flexible? and in reality is it likely to work in the corners and around door frames?

Mark

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i think either way you have to remove silicone. and i would do as they say. while not perfect you will be paid by the time it starts to break up (grout). just remind them that you cannot garuntee that part of job

dont you know the customer always knows best :mad2: lol

D

DHTiling

Just use the same make flexi additive as the make of grout..and no it won't work.. in time they will crack from moisture and thermal movement and opening and closing the door....i would just do as the customer requests and get paid...make sure they sign summit relieving you of all responsibility...

T

Tilestiles

I have seen and used ivory silicone so that shouldnt be a problem getting hold of that which may be a better match. Agree with what the other guys say as corners should have silicone so would explain why that is first and try the ivory silicone would be my first choice. Just do a bit to show them and if they are still not happy, grout the bugger and take the money!!

I

IvegotsTILE

I'd want money for removing the silicone and grouting again,you did the job how it should be its not your fault.
The job I just finished they asked me if I could just grout it as they thought it looked better but I insisted I silicone it.

You can't tell some customers though mate,do as Dave says then:90: the customrs:lol:

T

tiler tom

There is no option only to do as the customer asks. Like in a previous post just get the customer to state that you have done as asked on your invoice.

Reply to Corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen