Search the forum,

Discuss Choosing the right products for tiling my concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark S

To remove the floor paint, you will need something like an STR Orbital sander, available to hire from a number of outlets, but not sure where you are what availability is like

S

stevemuzz7

yeah thats what I meant, should have explained it.

get some ufh heating whacked down since your saving on the fitting ;)

haha, oh I wish I could but I've survived this long in my flat (3 years) without it and I plan to build my own house in a few years so think I'll pass on the extra expense! Before all I had was plywood with lino on top and it didn't seem too bad at all, it's actually quite a warm pad I've got. I know are cold but surely it can't be any worse than it was before? i'll soon find out i suppose!

S

stevemuzz7

To remove the floor paint, you will need something like an STR Orbital sander, available to hire from a number of outlets, but not sure where you are what availability is like

Wow you guys must thinks Stornoway is like something out of those old Western movies with tumbleweed blowing about and just a few people standing about waiting for a train in the middle of nowhere! haha. well actually it's a rather ls large town with a buzzing construction industry and believe it or not, plenty of places to buy or hire orbital sanders! awesome

S

stevemuzz7

just remember to wear your slippers !!!

Can I ask how the ply was fixed to the concrete for the lino to lay on it ?

Aye it was glued down with pro-stick silicon which hasn't been any fun pulling up and trying to get all the adhesive off the concrete slab. Should have been hammer fixed down and then maybe i could have tiled on top of it. Having said that, it was only 6mm ply which probably wouldn't have been thick enough.

S

stevemuzz7

Next question.

With regards to the tile adhesive bed, what thickness of bed should I be looking to use? 10mm? More than that? And would I be right in assuming the best trowel to use would be a 20mm round notched?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I love that because you're a chippy, you think you'll be able to tile... Not a real trade after all lol!
Best of luck buddy ;)

S

stevemuzz7

I love that because you're a chippy, you think you'll be able to tile... Not a real trade after all lol!
Best of luck buddy ;)

haha, not at all bud, I have a lot of respect for tilers, it's very skilled work. I'm putting an enormous amount of research into this and going to be doing it over a period of weeks and probably months so I'll probably be on here asking for advice now and then. Going to do the bathroom first. Will be a painful job getting all the paint off the concrete slab (that's the first step) but going to use some kind of paint stripper and probably a sand blaster to get it off as it seems the cheapest option. Next step is to prime and then self level the floor in the bathroom. Then be onto tiling the bathroom. I'll be sure to upload some photos of the finished bathroom when I'm done so you all can have a laugh! Need a 600mm manual cutter, looking at the Rubi Practic 60 but I don't like buying things that are too basic so should I go for the TS60 plus instead? Bear in mind I'll probably be using it on other jobs too when I get good, hehe!

Reply to Choosing the right products for tiling my concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen