Discuss Checklist For Tilers Just Starting Of As A Self Employed in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone who is generally still quite wet around the ears in terms of tiling. I've been doing the odd job around my current full time job so I can build my experience up. I really enjoy tiling and want to take the plunge into doing it full time and I know its not something I can do just yet as I need to build my experience up and reputation.

So with that being said. While I'm building that experience and reputation up. What I do need is a bit of guidance. Maybe like a checklist of some sort which all newbie's should adopt and follow. This post isnt about the what tools are required but if you want to include that then great thank you. The post is more about business side of things i.e. income, tax, insurance, self employed, ltd company and so on.

I hope someone can be of help.

Thank you

D

Diggerdog01

Hi mate good on you first of all and good luck.
If I could offer any advice for you I’d suggest trying to keep things simple to begin with and focus more on really getting a good reputation and relationship with your clients.
I’d advise a tidy reliable van and consider sign written decals! (I’ve personally never bothered but I do think it creates a good impression and obviously advertising, I’d also set up some social media pages to network and show your work, I’d try to build a good relationship with local suppliers and try negotiating some discount on materials. I’d get yourself set up with a good invoicing app I.e quick books sage Xero. It’s good practice to have a Buisness account and a savings account I’d estimate my work to include materials and set aside 25% of your gross income per job to allow for your tax bill. I’d also consider finding a good chartered accountant to help with your tax return. In my experience running a diary needs to be very flexible as jobs are constantly being either delayed or you turn up and there not ready or something isn’t right ultimately affecting your work schedule. There are some good apps available to help you with a diary but really i think this is one of the biggest struggles most trades men working for themselves face and it takes time to work out the kinks. Another good tip is don’t take on too much take on what you can handle and charge the right money. Get some time and repeat customers under your belt and strive to build good relationships and a good network. Hope this is helpful

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hello, most people learn at a training centre which will only cover the basics of applying some tiles, After 16 years teaching tiling we have developed the most advanced tiling course available called How To Tile For A living which covers everything you have mentioned in detail as well as all the advanced tiling methods and product and background theory which is what's not really taught in the centres, this course has 45 essential lessons to run a successful tiling business
You can check out the course here www.tiling-courses.co.uk and give yourself the best chance of success running a tiling business
Thanks
Darren
UK Pro Tiling Training

Reply to Checklist For Tilers Just Starting Of As A Self Employed in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks