Search the forum,

Discuss Cheapskate customers cutting corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GatesheadCol

Been out to look at a job on a 'shower room' which was built into a cupboard space by the customer 10 years ago.

Well where do I start, water damage everywhere, down the walls at the bottom, on the ceiling underneath, and down the wall where the electrics for the lights go!!!!!! Drain has never drained well since day one, tenants said the water fills up to about 2 inches and slowly drains away.

SO I say to the landlord, really it should be ripped out, walls made good with aqua panels or plasterboard and tanked., new floor laid with a proper run to the drain and tthe level of the floor raised so the waste actually has a drop for the water, (oh and the waste from the shower goes directly into the toilet waste stack, Id hate to go for a shower after someones been to the loo!!!.) I estimated it around 600 plus materials for this as it was really bad. Riupping old tilesoff, taking out the rotten plasterboard and fitting new aqua panels or plasterboard andf tanking, new tiles laid floor level raised and re-tiled, grouted and siliconed.

I know its a little cheap but I reckon I could do it in 3-4 days really as its only the size of a cupboard.

So the customer decided this was too much and just wanted the grout taken out, re-grouted, resiliconed and the floor done.

Im worried that this wont be good enough really, what do you guys think? would you do it- and be worried about comebacks or leave it and walk away.

If its not being done properly i dont fancy my name to it to be honest

T

TilingLogistics

If he thought £600 was too much I would tell him to take a hike unless you are really desperate for work. You know who he will blame when it goes again don't you!!!! And you also know who he will call and want it doing for nothing don't you!!!! And do you know who's fault it will all be????? Do yourself a favour and walk:thumbsup:

Kev

D

DHTiling

Unless he lets you do it properly then walk away col.....coz once you touch it , then the headache becomes yours and he will get onto you if it leaks again...........

Tell him it's this way or not all ..get somone else........

F

floydyboy

yes they always know best :lol:
don't do it or there will be trouble ahead. tell them no its your way or no way:thumbsup:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ALL of the above.

It'll only come back and bite ya arse :yes:

There really are some tight thick people out there:whatchutalkingabout

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grace'sDad

Yup, £600 is a very good price.

Don't be drawn into cutting corners - walk away and keep your professional integrity.

G

GatesheadCol

Thats what I thought guys to ber honest.

My main worry is the fact that the water is already showing along the route of the electrics and there are kids in the house...

It really needs pulling apart and building again to be honest and thats in my limited knowledge, but I thought I was right.

The shower has been disconnected by the plumber cos of the damage. They wanted a new shower and he said categoprically that he wont touch it till the walls and the leaks are sorted out. Should just follow his lead

T

TheWrightTiler

i agree, if hes not prepared to let you do the work for what i feel is a great price then walk away as if it fails and it will he will blame you and you will have to shoulder the costs of redoing the entire job, methinks thats what he is really after

tell him ful job to your specs or you will not do it and tell him to get someone else

andy

S

sWe

I wouldn't touch it. That particular type of customer is always more trouble than they're worth. If you do the job, even for 600, it's going to bite you in the arse. I would bet that he'd try to get you do do alot of work for free, or atleast very nearly free, in addition to causing you alot of head aches with unreasonable demands etc.

It's a matter of self-preservation really.

D

DEN

The very fact that water is running anywhere near electricity is just pure neglect on the part of the landlord,obviously he is only interested in collecting rent from the tenant,as usual they only want the bare minimum done,or as little cost as possible.Just tell the landlord you are a profeesional and you would in no way risk your reputation cutting corners.Besides he should be reported for letting it get in such a state,wonder how much they charge for rent??
Walk away mate, i would..:furious3:

Reply to Cheapskate customers cutting corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen