Discuss Can you use normal plasterboard when tanking? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

simongii

Hi all,
I often read the recommendation to use aquapanel/hardi or some other cement board when tanking.
In your opinion if the tanking membrane is providing a water proof seal isn't it more economical and equally as effective to use normal plasterboard?

Thanks

M

Mike Mike

Simon, yes you can use plasterboard when tanking. The main differences between plasterboard and other board materials is the weight of tile and adhesive they can hold. Plasterboard can hold 32kg / m2 if it hasn't been plaster skimmed, or 20kg if it has. Some backer boards, or Marmox type boards can take up to 60kg / m2.

In answer to your other question, isn't plasterboard just as good as backer boards etc, I would suggest that if you are only tanking the shower / bath area and not the whole bathroom then backer boards, or Marmox boards are a better option, because plasterboard will go mouldy over time when exposed to moisture. But there are no regulations or requirements to use superior sheet materials, and plasterboard is definitely cheaper, so ultimately it's personal / client's choice.

R

Rich

There is nothing wrong with using plasterboard. IMO cement boards are better as they will offer more defense against any moisture from the other side of the wall (leaking pipes and what not) as well as from the tiles side but they are more expensive.

P

Perry

There is nothing wrong with using plasterboard. IMO cement boards are better as they will offer more defense against any moisture from the other side of the wall (leaking pipes and what not) as well as from the tiles side but they are more expensive.
That's true but would rather cut plaster board out than cement board if it gets wet from the other side we have a problem lol

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I did my showr with MDF .................... Twice :)

S

simongii

Thanks for the replies. The other side of the wall shouldn't have any moisture at all so I'll stick with the normal plasterboard to keep the cost down, I think I should be ok for weight too.

Thanks again

Reply to Can you use normal plasterboard when tanking? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks