Search the forum,

Discuss Can you polish the cut edge of Porcelain tiles? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

The customer of a plumber who I am working for is adamant she does not want in any shape or form any tile trims for the external corners of the tiles she has chosen(600x600 glazed porcelain)
Using such a big tile on the walls and floor on this small bathroom refurb,somewhere along the line there will be an edge that I cannot fit a factory made edge and so will have a less that perfect external corner.
I,the plumber and the tile retailer have all explained the visual and safety aspects of not protecting the external edge but she still does not want trims,so can the edges be polished?
One for ATS maybe?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I haven't tried either before is the short answer. Also I am rather restricted to the size of mitre cut by the arm on the Dewalt wet cutter. Depends on the tile as well,I will be well hacked off if the edge keeps chipping.

You can mitre the tile with a grinder, just cut a straight edge with your dewalt wet saw, then clamp to a bench. Mitre it to within a mm or two of the face.
if its a full bodied tile with a body a similar colour to the face, you can polish the edge. But will look better mitred.

O

On one

You can mitre the tile with a grinder, just cut a straight edge with your dewalt wet saw, then clamp to a bench. Mitre it to within a mm or two of the face.
if its a full bodied tile with a body a similar colour to the face, you can polish the edge. But will look better mitred.
Might have to mitre them somehow as the tiles are not full bodied,more like a sandwich cake slice of Mr Kipling's finest

O

On one

ATS make a mitre attachment for a grinder.
Takes a bit of practise but it's a doddle once you crack it.
Go on - push yourself and do it!
I might just do that!
After posting #1 I got in contact with ATS and thought I was sorted with what I might require for polishing the tiles,but the mitre attachment idea has put the cat amongst the pigeons now.
Did the mitre attachment have some teething problems?

O

One Day

I might just do that!
After posting #1 I got in contact with ATS and thought I was sorted with what I might require for polishing the tiles,but the mitre attachment idea has put the cat amongst the pigeons now.
Did the mitre attachment have some teething problems?

Only with it being tricky to use. Alan posted a link to an American firm's Youtube vid showing how this type of attachment should be used. Maybe ask him for the link?
Once you crack it though it's very satisfying and looks great.

Reply to Can you polish the cut edge of Porcelain tiles? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement