Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss can I cut a door frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

brendanbreeze

Hello all,

Just wondering if it's ok to cut off all the door frame/architrave etc from the bottom of a door and slide a tile under rather than doing a very tricky and time consuming cut? I'm using large tiles and going from one room into another. Is the frame bearing much weight?

Many thanks Brendan.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi Brendan, no problem at all, in fact a lot do it as your intending. And the frame to floor will be minimal weight, some times none if it's been packed to level.

C

CJ CERAMICS

i do this as standard makes it so much easier than emulating the arcitrave design.
only time i dont do it is if customer requests me not to. btw i use a bosch pmf180 muliti tool to do this. but please be aware of the finish height of tile with addy as in the distant past i have over calculated and cut arcs too short. had to replace but the lesson was worth it.
chris

B

brendanbreeze

Cheers Sir Ramic

Just another thought. What about cutting off the bottom of doors while they're still hanging? looks like this tool could do it but am I missing something?

Thank's again

T

Terry Cottar

The fein can do it but its quicker with a hand saw but the fein is brill for architrave just turn a tile upside down on top of 9mm ply then cut the architrave the ply allows for the adhesive

tel

G

grumpygrouter

Cheers Sir Ramic

Just another thought. What about cutting off the bottom of doors while they're still hanging? looks like this tool could do it but am I missing something?

Thank's again
If you need to cut the bottom of the door, you won't be able to do it in situ, otherwise there would be no need to cut it!

D

DHTiling

If you need to cut the bottom of the door, you won't be able to do it in situ, otherwise there would be no need to cut it!

As they say at panto...OH! yes you can...:smilewinkgrin:..

An undercut or jam saw will do that,,,even a hand saw laid edge flat on ply to the height required for clearence..then cut along the door bottom...

T

Terry Cottar

you can we use a door boss saw to do it i've done it with a fein as well but its a fairly slow process it's quicker with a jam saw but not as quick as the door boss

tel

Reply to can I cut a door frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks